View previous topic | View next topic

International Relations

Page 1 of 1

djgordy
728082.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote

My brother in law is from Poland and my cousin bought a Thai bride off the internet.

OK that isn't an example of the kind of international relations I was thinking of. Something more along the lines of interesting things about the way that different countries get on with each other. Or, more usually, don't get on with each other. The recent exchange of pies between the USA and Russia might be a good example. The USA gave the Russians some apple pies and the Russians gave the Americans some beetroot pies*.

Anyway, at the Field of the Cloth of Gold, a meeting between the French king Frances I and Henry VIII of England in June 1520, it is said (by the French) that Henry challenged Frances to a wrestling match. It is said (by the French) that Frances won. Sometimes I think that a wrestling match between leaders should be the way that all international disputes are resolved. Mind you, given his interest in martial arts, Vlad Putin would simply challenge all the other presidents and monarchs to a fight and become world leader. So we may put that idea on hold until David Haye become PM.

*<Edit> I've just learned that it was spies they exchanges, not pies. Easy mistake to make.

Posital
728083.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote

Why base it on physical prowess, or mental, or anything.

A toss of a coin would do.

Icarus
728159.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote

Is that the decided view from the Harvey Dent School of International Relations at the University of Gotham?

djgordy
728231.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Gerhard Schröder, former Chancellor of Germany was accompanying Israeli Premier Ehud Barak, to pay his respects at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem. Honored with bolstering the eternal flame in recognition of the six million dead by turning a handle, Schröder turned it off instead.

http://international-politics.suite101.com/article.cfm/funny_politics_things_that_make_you_go_mmmm

bobwilson
728262.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote

Icarus wrote:
Is that the decided view from the Harvey Dent School of International Relations at the University of Gotham?

Surely it's the undecided view - at least until the coin has been tossed

bobwilson
728263.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Gerhard Schröder, former Chancellor of Germany was accompanying Israeli Premier Ehud Barak, to pay his respects at the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem. Honored with bolstering the eternal flame in recognition of the six million dead by turning a handle, Schröder turned it off instead.

http://international-politics.suite101.com/article.cfm/funny_politics_things_that_make_you_go_mmmm

You mean - the German leader turned off the gas?

tetsabb
728349.  Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote

Many years ago I made the suggestion of, instead of wars, differences could be decided by sporting contests on some little-wanted patch of land, say, the Falklands*.

*And this was before most British people knew where they were...

bobwilson
728562.  Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Many years ago I made the suggestion of, instead of wars, differences could be decided by sporting contests on some little-wanted patch of land, say, the Falklands*.

*And this was before most British people knew where they were...

Plus ca change

Most British people still don't know where they are (but they'll bloody well defend them to the death - preferrably somebody elses)

Starfish13
751894.  Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Anyway, at the Field of the Cloth of Gold, a meeting between the French king Frances I and Henry VIII of England in June 1520, it is said (by the French) that Henry challenged Frances to a wrestling match. It is said (by the French) that Frances won.

John Paul Jones, the chap, that is, not the pub in Whitehaven, led an American naval assault on the Cumbrian town in 1778. Jones attacked at night with the aim of burning the merchant fleet in the harbour, and set fires around the town.

Un/fortunately, the first stop that his men made was into a pub and by they got round to the raid were rather inebriated, short of fuel to light fires, in danger of being trapped on the turning tide and dawn was approaching. The crew made a run for it, and having had the forethougth to spike the town's cannons, escaped.

Both the British and the Americans consider the raid to be a success.

Bondee
751958.  Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
John Paul Jones, the chap, that is, not the pub in Whitehaven, led an American naval assault on the Cumbrian town in 1778.

The bass player from Led Zeppelin?
; )

Ion Zone
751990.  Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote

I've always wondered how Diplomatic Immunity came about, and if it works the way it was intended.

Jenny
752037.  Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote

Definition of a diplomat - a man sent to lie abroad for his country.

Zebra57
752038.  Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote

In the book The History of Diplomatic Immunity, Frey and Frey state that the origins of diplomatic immunity go back to ancient times.

Page 1 of 1