Bet you weren't expecting that.

zomgmouse
718224.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote

Will I get comfy chairs?

bemahan
718265.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote

zomgmouse wrote:
Will I get comfy chairs?

You'll need to come up with more challenging questions than that if you want to be an Inquisitor, zomg.

Tas
718275.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again...

legspin
718310.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote

If using Windows, go to start, click run, type cmd, hit return.
Type the following into a command prompt
IF * “The Spanish Inquisition”
And then press return............

Neotenic
718312.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote

Now that we have those Python quotes out of the way, one thing that did surprise me slightly was that the Inquisition existed as an institution in Spain until 1834. 356 years is a pretty good innings for any institution.

Another couple of unusual things I've gleaned from a Wiki-skim is that than Spanish Inquisition acted independently of the Catholic Church and was apparently staffed by 'secular clergy', which sounds like a bit of a contradiction in terms to me.

Finally, despite the rather brutal reputation (comfy chairs and soft cushions aside), the c87,000 cases heard by the Inquisition between 1540 and 1700 only resulted in around 1,080 executions. So I suppose that people had about a 98.8% chance of getting out alive, albeit maybe a bit taller.

Curious Danny
718317.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote

Secular clergy are priests that you see in church and have regular contact with lay congregations. Regulars, by contrast, are members in religious orders such as the Franciscans and the Dominicans.
As for the death toll, in Spanish America, de Landa's illegal inquistion against heresy amongst the Maya in 1562 saw 4,500 Amerindians tortured, with 158 dying and many being crippled. Not the most understanding of organisations ...

suze
718421.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
One thing that did surprise me slightly was that the Inquisition existed as an institution in Spain until 1834. 356 years is a pretty good innings for any institution.

The Roman Inquisition still exists. It was established in 1542 (seventy or so years later than the Spanish one), and changed its name in 1965 to Congregatio pro Doctrina Fidei (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith).

Until he got a promotion in 2005, the head of the CDF had for twenty four years been a German guy named Ratzinger. (It's now an American named William Levada, who had previously been Archbishop of San Francisco.)

Flash
718442.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote

Is it generally known that the Spanish Inquisition was originally set up to persecute apostasising Jews? Might be a question in that, with
Quote:
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

as the forfeit.

Ion Zone
718446.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote

In terms of torture, they were pretty mild. Though, they did use the Toca.

Vox Day wrote:
Torture was rarely used,(21) and only when there was substantial evidence to indicate that the accused was lying. Torture could only be used on one occasion for fifteen minutes,(22) and could not cause the loss of life or limb, or shed blood; although there were occasional excesses, the main reason we know about them is because those responsible for committing them were held accountable by the Church authorities.

Citation 21 wrote:
Kamen, (The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision) 189. Most crimes were not considered serious enough to justify torture. The incidence of torture varied greatly depending on the tribunal, as the lowest rate was at Valencia, where half of 1 percent of those tried were tortured; the highest known rate was at Seville, where 11 percent suffered the treatment.

Apparently they were about the most humane system going at the time. Which, if true, is downright hilarious.

Sadurian Mike
718455.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote

A quick look at the relevant Wiki page tells a very different story.

samivel
718507.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Is it generally known that the Spanish Inquisition was originally set up to persecute apostasising Jews?

Well, I don't know how representative I can claim to be of people in general, but I knew that.

I've just asked my mum, and she didn't. So, there's an entirely accurate and scientific poll for you.

:)

Ion Zone
718560.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Yes, but this is very new information, and that's Wikipedia, results may vary and myths often repeated. Personally, I think it could go either way.

Sadurian Mike
718578.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote

Given the history of the author in question, I think I'll stick with the established facts for now.

As for "very new information", the revisionist theory has been around since the 1970s!

Flash
718589.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Mike, are you talking about Kamen? I have that book, and was planning to use it as a source - but does your post suggest that it's unreliable, or have I misunderstood?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next