100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
ib
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Posital
726895.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote

Aren't americans the only ones using lbs... they seem to pronounce everything however they want, no matter how much you shout at them...

PS: Why do americans have farmer's tans? It's the freedom to bare arms... (gets coat)

MinervaMoon
726910.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote

We do use lbs., but I've never heard it pronounced any way other than "pound" . . .

mckeonj
726914.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote

I remember that, as a child, being laughed at for pronouncing the common abbreviation 'Ltd' as written. Is it possible that plinkplonk is referring to a similar pronouncement, by one younger and less aware?

bemahan
726916.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote

I've only ever heard "lb" said as "pound", unless by a child or foreign language speaker who hasn't yet learned that.
Similarly "oz", short for "ounce" is always* said as "ounce."

*Although, I suppose, there may be those who just say "oz" as at least it's pronounceable, unlike "lb."

plinkplonk
726919.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote

Lb is pronounceable. As I said above, it's a bit daft calling it pound (or calling it lb). Least Ltd is a silent d, many words have a silent d.

bemahan
726923.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote

plinkplonk wrote:
Least Ltd is a silent d, many words have a silent d.

The way I say "Ltd" (I say it "limited"), the 'd' isn't silent.
The only words I can think of with a silent 'd' are "Wednesday" and "handkerchief".
Possibly also "sandwich", although I personally slightly pronounce the 'd' in that.

mckeonj
726937.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:53 am Reply with quote

Regarding Ltd, as a child I didn't know the name of &, and so had trouble with 'Floggit & Co Ltd.' This was when I compulsively read everything that came into sight.
This raised an interesting question:
How do you say the names of some non-alphabetic characters on the keyboard? I don't mean the official names, I mean your mental names for them. Some of mine are:
pound
$ dollar
& and
* star
@ at
# hatch
' at key
The last one is a 'Hot Key' in another frequently used application, and wrongly named because I look for the @ to locate it.
Yes, I am an unrepentant look-typist, aka 'hunt & peck ltd'.

zomgmouse
726947.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote

Quote:
# hatch

That's the hash key for me, although sometimes I will call it "sharp" or "number".

^ that one's been called "hat", but I think I call it "top" or "up".

RLDavies
726954.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote

I've never heard anybody call "lb" anything other than "pound". I've got a slight suspicion that whoever called it "ib" confused a lower-case L with a capital I.

EDIT: Have just remembered that occasionally when cooking I might say I need so many "libs" of something. But that's purely facetious. I also measure ingredients in ozzes and flozzes (fl oz). You need to find as much amusement as you can while cooking.

# hash (Americans often call it the "pound sign", confusingly, from its use in commerce symbolism for "lb")

* star, or asterisk if I'm feeling pedantic

^ on its own I'd most often say "caret". If it's above a letter, "circumflex".

Esperanto has several letters with circumflexes, and in that language the sign is most commonly called a "hat" (ĉapelo) for convenience. I have a book of mildly satirical Esperanto stories, one of which recounts the vicious war between the letters with hats and those without.

Last edited by RLDavies on Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Posital
726994.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote

I've heard these:
! shriek
? query

Moosh
726997.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote

I call the symbol "not", but I doubt that's the correct name for it, and how about | pipe and ~ tilde?

Lb I say as pound, and I've never heard anyone call it anything else. I take the point that it's not actually an abbreviation of pound, but it wouldn't make sense to say libre and I'm not saying lib.

plinkplonk
726998.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
plinkplonk wrote:
Least Ltd is a silent d, many words have a silent d.

The way I say "Ltd" (I say it "limited"), the 'd' isn't silent.
The only words I can think of with a silent 'd' are "Wednesday" and "handkerchief".
Possibly also "sandwich", although I personally slightly pronounce the 'd' in that.

Well the d is silent in the abbreviation. Pernod, judge, midge, fudge, smudge, there must be many words with a silent d.

RLDavies
727105.  Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
I've heard these:
! shriek
? query

Old editors' and printers' terms, those. Especially useful for dictating copy over the phone. The exclamation point can also be called a "screamer".

Traditional printers' language and lore is enough to warrant an episode of QI on its own. Something to think about when we eventually get round to P.

bobwilson
727495.  Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote

I don't pronounce lb as pound - I read lb to mean pound. Similarly with oz (for ounce). And that hybrid sign that is a cross between an E and an L - I usually interpret to mean pound to be stated after the numerical value that it precedes.

themoog
727516.  Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote

& is ampersand to me.

Never thought of voicing lb as anything other than pound.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next