View previous topic | View next topic

Ills and illness

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

HarryAlffa
749148.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote

This prompted a memory long buried.
I hit a taxi, on my motorbike, at about 40mph. I had the brakes on, there wasn't distance enough to slow very much. I could see it was inevitable that I was going to collide.
Everything slowed down tremendously. I felt a heat in my belly so intense, I almost looked down to see what was happening - I later surmised it was adrenaline concentrating blood flow, or something.
The processing power of the brain under extreme stress is quite impressive. Even as I was catapulted over the handlebars (my grip was so strong I bent them and pulled off the rubber grips) I heard the smashing of glass, "That's my headlight", the silence of my engine, "I wonder what this sort of impact does to the piston rods". I landed on the road shoulder/crash helmet first, rolled and stood up, "Tah dah!" (ok I didn't think that!).

Anyway, this doesn't really come under I, unless you say Impact, but it is Interesting that our perception of time can be so dilated (to borrow a physics term).
Internal Clock!
Is that a potential area of Interest? As has been already alluded to, a previous QI touched on this with pigeons & snails, but there may be mileage in studying the Human Internal Clock.
Was it the same QI which mentioned a study where one group were frightened by a loud noise, which halved their reaction times? I remember seeing some footage of the experiment, so perhaps not.

Jenny
749263.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote

I wonder if it's something to do with the impact of adrenaline on the nervous system?

RLDavies
749311.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote

Maybe fever accelerates the metabolism?

As a teenager I saw a friend get hit by a car (not seriously, thank goodness) and it all seemed to go in extreme slow motion.

Even just tripping over and falling down, it seems to be ages before you hit the floor. I think it's been experimentally confirmed that adrenaline has this time-dilation effect. You take in and react to far more information per millisecond.

Flash
749363.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote

There was a programme about perception of time on Radio 4 last week, featuring an experiment in which they played very quick sounds to people being given an adrenalin rush by being put on a roller-coaster ride (or something like that). IIRC the subjects did not experience the sounds any more than they did without the stimulus, ie there was no observable time dilation effect at work in this particular experiment.

busk31
749406.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote

They think that the brain expands the memory card by 36% during adrenalin rushes. Everything is a new experience and the brain are so busy recording all the exiting events, that time seems to slow down..by like 36%

-I think they should try Mescaline..

HarryAlffa
749424.  Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote

I'm under the impression that it is well documented that life or death adrenaline rushes have this time-dilation (if we're going to use that term) effect.
It's a terrible curse, the TV, long may it remain. I recall interviews on the goggle-box with survivors of grounded aeroplane fires, where time slows down and those pushing and fighting to get out have tunnel vision and only see in black and white.
The explanation for this is that colour processing takes longer, so it's dumped for greater visual processing. I think survivors also reported being aware of much greater detail within the tunnel. Conversely I also remember that they had a much greater recall of details in the wider scene. I'm not sure if this was stages of the event experienced by one individual, or differing accounts by multiple survivors.

RLDavies
749999.  Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote

Here's an interesting experiment showing a time-dilation effect in a non-life-and-death situation.
http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2010/01/is_time_dilated_during_a_threatening_situation.php

There's a very ancient reflex causing anxiety when anything is seen "looming" (rapidly taking up more and more of the field of vision). An image looming on a screen seems to be taken as enough of a threat to cause a slight time dilation.

Hummingbird
750050.  Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote

Fascinating.

I had measles when I was a child and one of my most vivid memories is of the extreme deja vu I had for a whole day. I assume it was because I had a fever. It was certainly very weird and not unenjoyable.

tchrist
750180.  Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote

It's been shown that all that's happening is that more stuff is being recorded. You can't actually perceive things you couldn't normally perceive. You just remember more. Listen to this story from a recent Radiolab episode from NPR. It's in section #1 on "Falling Time", although section #3 on "Falling Cats" is pretty interesting, too. Those, and the hypnic jerks.

--tom

Jenny
752045.  Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Something I read in a sample chapter from a book today:

Quote:
For example, far more people die each year from adverse reactions to prescription and over-the-counter medications than succumb to all illegal drug use. Illicit drugs kill anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 Americans a year. The estimates for U.S. deaths from legal drugs have ranged from 45,000 to over 200,000 per year, which represents 2 to 9 percent of the 2.3 million people who die annually, thereby qualifying as at least the sixth leading cause of death in America, and possibly as high as the third-behind only heart disease and cancer. Of course, many people take many medications without experiencing such problems, which are referred to as "adverse drug reactions" in the United States, "medication misadventures" in the U.K. and "drug-induced sufferings" in Japan. But according to studies in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), as many as 11 percent of all hospital admissions are the result of adverse drug reactions, or ADRs, as they are often called. More than one-quarter of all inpatients have adverse reactions to the drugs they are given in the hospital-many the result of preventable medication errors-which makes ADRs the leading cause of in-hospital injury.

In America more people die each year from reactions to the drugs they get in the hospital than are killed in automobile accidents. (Some 10 percent of all auto accidents involve drivers impaired by medications.) Outpatients are victimized in greater numbers in another way by drug reactions: they stop taking their pills after being spooked by annoying side effects, neglect to tell their doctors, and are then hurt or killed by the untreated illness.

Source: Bitter Pills: Inside the Hazardous World of Legal Drugs by Stephen Fried.

See http://www.bookdaily.com/book/168405

djgordy
753191.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote

Pibloktoq:

Quote:
The hysterical reaction among Eskimo peoples known as pibloktoq, one of a group of aberrant behaviors occurring among Arctic and Circumarctic societies termed 'arctic hysterias', has been explained by a variety of theories: ecological, nutritional, biological-physiological, psychological-psychoanalytic, social structural and cultural. This study hypothesizes the possible implication of vitamin intoxication, namely, hypervitaminosis A, in the etiology of some cases of pibloktoq. Its biocultural approach implicates elements of several explanatory classes, which are not mutually exclusive. Experimental and clinical studies of nonhumans and humans reveal somatic and behavioral effects of hypervitaminosis A which closely parallel many of the symptoms reported for Western patients diagnosed as hysterical and Inuit sufferers of pibloktoq. Eskimo nutrition provides abundant sources of vitamin A and lays the probable basis in some individuals for hypervitaminosis A through ingestion of livers, kidneys, and fat of arctic fish and mammals, where the vitamin often is stored in poisonous quantities. Possible connections between pibloktoq and hypervitamonosis A are explored. A multifactorial framework may yield a more compelling model of some cases of pibloktoq than those that are mainly unicausal, since, among other things, the disturbance has been reported for males and females, adults and children, and dogs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4049004

I'm looking forward to the episode of "House" that has this one.

Untutored Eye
753197.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
There was a programme about perception of time on Radio 4 last week, featuring an experiment in which they played very quick sounds to people being given an adrenalin rush by being put on a roller-coaster ride (or something like that). IIRC the subjects did not experience the sounds any more than they did without the stimulus, ie there was no observable time dilation effect at work in this particular experiment.

When you inhale nitrous oxide, sounds become both weirdly stacatto and 'echoey', in ways that were reminiscent to me of what you hear when you dream, a multitude of frequencies and wavelengths.

Almost similar to what you hear when you are going under anaesthetic, and the voices of doctors and nurses echo and fade away. It absolutely reminded me of some of the effects I remember hearing as a child watching old horror/mystery movies to portray dream/nightmare sequences.

It got me wondering if some early soundmen were using their memory of some hallucinogens or similar to good effect.

And yes, I've inhaled N2O.

Edited for Bondee's correction.

Last edited by Untutored Eye on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bondee
753251.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Untutored Eye wrote:
And yes, I've inhaled NO2.

Did you mean N2O?

Untutored Eye
753259.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Untutored Eye wrote:
And yes, I've inhaled NO2.

Did you mean N2O?

Indood I diddly, thanks.

Say no to drugs.

Arcane
753533.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Untutored Eye wrote:
Flash wrote:

When you inhale nitrous oxide, sounds become both weirdly stacatto and 'echoey', in ways that were reminiscent to me of what you hear when you dream, a multitude of frequencies and wavelengths.

I offered to try some nitrous oxide when we were having the tour of the labour ward. It was horrible, I did not like it at all. I got a sensation as if I was about to faint and my mouth felt like it was stuck together. I took one small breath mumbled something and put it down. I didn't ask to use it when I was in labour either.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next