View previous topic | View next topic

Ills and illness

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Untutored Eye
753197.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
There was a programme about perception of time on Radio 4 last week, featuring an experiment in which they played very quick sounds to people being given an adrenalin rush by being put on a roller-coaster ride (or something like that). IIRC the subjects did not experience the sounds any more than they did without the stimulus, ie there was no observable time dilation effect at work in this particular experiment.

When you inhale nitrous oxide, sounds become both weirdly stacatto and 'echoey', in ways that were reminiscent to me of what you hear when you dream, a multitude of frequencies and wavelengths.

Almost similar to what you hear when you are going under anaesthetic, and the voices of doctors and nurses echo and fade away. It absolutely reminded me of some of the effects I remember hearing as a child watching old horror/mystery movies to portray dream/nightmare sequences.

It got me wondering if some early soundmen were using their memory of some hallucinogens or similar to good effect.

And yes, I've inhaled N2O.

Edited for Bondee's correction.

Last edited by Untutored Eye on Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bondee
753251.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Untutored Eye wrote:
And yes, I've inhaled NO2.

Did you mean N2O?

Untutored Eye
753259.  Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Untutored Eye wrote:
And yes, I've inhaled NO2.

Did you mean N2O?

Indood I diddly, thanks.

Say no to drugs.

Arcane
753533.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Untutored Eye wrote:
Flash wrote:
There was a programme about perception of time on Radio 4 last week, featuring an experiment in which they played very quick sounds to people being given an adrenalin rush by being put on a roller-coaster ride (or something like that). IIRC the subjects did not experience the sounds any more than they did without the stimulus, ie there was no observable time dilation effect at work in this particular experiment.

When you inhale nitrous oxide, sounds become both weirdly stacatto and 'echoey', in ways that were reminiscent to me of what you hear when you dream, a multitude of frequencies and wavelengths.

I offered to try some nitrous oxide when we were having the tour of the labour ward. It was horrible, I did not like it at all. I got a sensation as if I was about to faint and my mouth felt like it was stuck together. I took one small breath mumbled something and put it down. I didn't ask to use it when I was in labour either.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2