View previous topic | View next topic

Islands - Isles - Islets

Page 4 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

thedrew
730677.  Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote

There is also Province Point on Ile-de-la-Province in Lake Memphremagog Vermont/Quebec. The island is only inhabited on the Canadian side, the American side being only a small forested point.

Woodsman
730700.  Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote

If one wishes to see grownups - in the form of governments - tussle over scraps of 'territory', I invite you to review the history and present day situation pertaining to Machias Seal Island and North Rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machias_Seal_Island

Woodsman
730701.  Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote

While you are in the area, note that Campobello Island, Canadian territory, is linked by bridge only to the US.

Woodsman
730717.  Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote

In the Battle of Hafrsfjord, Norway, according to the sagas, Harald I defeated several rivals to unify western Norway. According to information in the locality of Sørnes, Sola, near Stavanger, a little islet, Ytreberget, off there in Hafrsfjord is thought to have been a focus of part of the battle. A memorial stone was placed on the "islet" by Harald V ? or Olav ? to commemorate the supposed 1,100 ? year anniversary of the battle, which is taken by some accounts to be 872. The better known monument to the battle is the Sverd i fjell near Stavanger.

Of interest, it is no longer an islet, but is connected to the mainland by a low isthmus since the land in that area has risen at least 20 feet in a millennium. This is due to crustal rebound from the last glaciation.

The "islet" is visible at this URL, in the center of the photo, now connected to the peninsula on the right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafrsfjord

In this series of photos taken on Ytreberget, to the left of Gamle murar (old walls) is the isthmus. Archaeology suggests that these walls may have been thrown up by the defenders on the "islet" during the battle.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12080872

Woodsman
730718.  Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote

A former island, submerged with no bells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Bank

There was a story that perhaps in the 19th century, fishermen, at dead low tide, would sometimes come upon bare reaches of the Bank, get out of their boats, and walk upon it. I can't readily find a reference to this story. Since the Bank is made of glacial deposits, it could be that there were times when it could have been exposed, since in places it is only meters deep.

In the second aerial photo, the Bank can be seen underwater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Bank

Bondee
730764.  Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote

The Isle of Lucy...

Home to the world famous jazz/blues (or is it a blues/jazz?) festival. The 1975 festival was the location of the demise of Spinal Tap's third drummer, Peter "James" Bond.

Quote:
Marty DiBergi: Now, during the Flower People period, who was your drummer?

David St. Hubbins: Stumpy's replacement, Peter "James" Bond. He also died in mysterious circumstances. We were playing a, uh...

Nigel Tufnel: ...Festival.

David St. Hubbins: Jazz/blues festival. Where was that?

Nigel Tufnel: Blues/jazz, really.

Derek Smalls: Blues/jazz festival. Misnamed.

Nigel Tufnel: It was in the Isle of, uh...

David St. Hubbins: Isle of Lucy. The Isle of Lucy jazz and blues festival.

Nigel Tufnel: And, uh, it was tragic, really. He exploded on stage.

Derek Smalls: Just like that.

David St. Hubbins: He just went up.

Nigel Tufnel: He just was like a flash of green light... And that was it. Nothing was left.

David St. Hubbins: Look at his face.

Nigel Tufnel: Well, there was...

David St. Hubbins: It's true, this really did happen.

Nigel Tufnel: It's true. There was a little green globule on his drum seat.

David St. Hubbins: Like a stain, really.

Nigel Tufnel: It was more of a stain than a globule, actually.

David St. Hubbins: You know, several, you know, dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.

Jenny
730782.  Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote

I've only just got the joke of Isle of Lucy/I love Lucy. Or is that just my imagination?

Bondee
730832.  Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote

Nope, definitely not your imagination, Jenny!
: )

Haven't you seen This Is Spinal Tap? It comes highly recommended by many (myself included) if you haven't.

On a similar "punny" note, The Pretenders released an album called The Isle Of View back in the '90s.

Jenny
730883.  Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote

I have seen it Bondee, but an awfully long time ago.

Woodsman
731662.  Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote

Pulsing islands:

This one grew suddenly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimaey

This one appeared out of the ocean and then shrank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surtsey

Spud McLaren
731805.  Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Apparently, the only island group in Hudson Bay named by Henry Hudson is the Ottawa Islands, but that isn't the name he gave to them.
Info on the various sorts of floating island. The Pykrete link is especially interesting, despite its having been QIed before.

Woodsman
732189.  Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote

The worlds largest most sparsely settled group of islands appears to be the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. There are said to be over 36,000 islands in the group. The extent is 1,500 by 1,200 miles

The largest island, Baffin, with a population of about 9,600, is 3-1/2 times larger in land area and the second largest, Victoria, is 1-1/2 times larger than England.

Once again, islands present the opportunity for conflict. Think the Falklands, the Spratlys, Machias Seal and the CAA. The Canadian Internal Waters comprise the waters between all the islands of the CAA. The US thinks that there is an east-west international passageway between the islands - aka Northwest Passage. There has never been a continuous east-west movement of vessels to establish international passage in this area due to ice. The first round trip through the passage was completed by RCMP St. Roch in 1944, so the Canadians seem to have first dibs.

scubascooby
733269.  Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Lord Sandwich had three islands (or groups) named after him.

Doing scuba diving I have managed to visit quite a few small British islands (and some large ones). IoW, IoM, Anglesey, Orkneys, Scillies, Skomer, Lundy, Stack rock (Pembrokeshire).
Next year I hope to get to St Kilda

Woodsman
733327.  Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote

OK, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

What is the largest island in the largest natural freshwater lake all within one state east of the Mississippi?

thedrew
733493.  Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Observation Shoal, Lake Okeechobee, Florida?

Beaver Island, Michigan is all within lake Michigan and the State of Michigan, but the Lake is in 4 States (Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan).

Page 4 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next