View previous topic | View next topic

Illustration

Page 1 of 1

plinkplonk
729623.  Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote

Here is a hard question, linked to illustration.

In the comic strip Perishers one of Boot's friend (Boot being an Old English sheepdog, or Dulux dog) is called BH (Calcutta) failed, Calcutta is probably a University, hence the failed, but what the BH stand for? It can't just be bloodhound (him being a bloodhound) so what is it?

plinkplonk
729624.  Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote

My mistake BH does stand for bloodhood.

I know R.J Yeatman, the co-writer of 1066 and All That titled himself Failed BA etc. Oxon.

Yeatman is pronounced Yateman, like the verger in Dad's Army

http://www.theauthenticperishers.co.uk/mainmenu/bhcalcutta.htm

Jenny
729655.  Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote

My father managed a factory in Bombay between 1946 and 1955, and had to review a lot of job applications. He told me it was quite common for people to put things like BSc Calcutta (failed) on their applications - it was evidence that they had applied and been accepted to university and had studied there, even if they did not earn a degree. Hence the use of an Indian university name here, I suppose.

mckeonj
729657.  Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote

My father, born in British Malaya, in the Calcutta diocese, told me that 'failed BA' was an acceptable qualification for Indians in those parts, but not for Chinese.
He also told me that men with typewwriters used to sit in market places, and would type documents for a small fee.

Jenny
729659.  Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Yes - my dad had letters from some of those marketplace scribes, on behalf of illiterate labourers looking for unskilled work

Bondee
729856.  Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote

plinkplonk wrote:
Here is a hard question, linked to illustration.

In the comic strip Perishers one of Boot's friend (Boot being an Old English sheepdog, or Dulux dog) is called BH (Calcutta) failed, Calcutta is probably a University, hence the failed, but what the BH stand for? It can't just be bloodhound (him being a bloodhound) so what is it?

He was a "failed" bloodhound because he had no sense of smell...

Quote:
He was meant to be a proper card carrying Bloodhound , but failed his final examinations. Bureaucratic bungling is what he puts it down to, and he has a case.

The examiners laid a trail by filling an elephant with curry and turning the swelling beast out into the midday sun where, elbowing mad dog's and Englishmen rudely aside, it laid a trail few could fail to follow but most preferred to avoid.

BH followed the trail, doggedly - something for which dogs seem to have a natural flair. Just as he was closing in on the quarry, ready with the phrase, "you are a curry loaded elephant and I claim the ten pound reward," the curry, which was expanding in the midday heat, achieved a greater volume than the pachyderm was capable of surrounding and the unfortunate beast exploded.

As BH explains: "when they removed my bandages I had catastrophically lost my entire sense of smelling".

source: official Perishers website

mckeonj
729908.  Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote

I guess from the phrasing of the above statement that BH spoke with a Bombay Welsh intonation.

Bondee
730763.  Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote

I used to love the animated version of The Perishers. I watched it after school when I was a wee'un, but I can't remember how Calcutta's voice sounded.

I do remember Leonard Rossiter doing a fine job as the voice of Old Boot though!
(as the end of the title sequence shows)

Efros
730766.  Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Pm me for the clip

go to 2:43 to see and hear BH.

Last edited by Efros on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bondee
730770.  Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote

You star!

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1