View previous topic | View next topic

In the Beginning!

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

CB27
776523.  Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote

That's interesting, in semitic languages the word for mother often has "ma" as a second, stronger syllable.

I think it's more to do with the fact that no matter where in the world you were born, or whether you're from the modern day or from 10,000 years ago, the natural reaction to a beatiful woman with a generous chest is "Oh, mama!"

CB27
803570.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote

I have to admit that I was struggling to come up with Qi information about Buddhism which is both interesting and not terrificly common knowledge.

However, one question I might pose could be:

In Buddhism, how does a poisoned arrow help define the creation of the universe?

It's a strange question, and the answer might be a bit convoluted here.

The basic principle of Buddhism rejects the idea of a creator, and it's discussed and rejected more than once. There is a somewhat post-theistic approach to the whole idea, which is captured brilliantly in a passage within the Pali Canon:
Quote:
Suppose someone was hit by a poisoned arrow and his friends and relatives found a doctor able to remove the arrow. If this man were to say "I will not have this arrow taken out until I know whether the person who had shot it was a priest, a prince or a merchant, his name and his family. I will not have it taken out until I know what kind of bow was used and whether the arrowhead was an ordinary one or an iron one." That person would die before all these things are ever known to him."

The idea of this parable is to distinguish what is useful and what isn't, and as the Buddha claims "all things are preceded by the mind, led by the mind and created by the mind", there is no use for the existence of a creator.

Stefan Linnemann
817887.  Fri May 20, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote

hassan el kebir wrote:
Quote:
I have not masturbated on holy ground.

Well I'm pretty damned sure I've not done that one
Odd, it's one of the few I could not swear to.

Stefan.

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4