View previous topic | View next topic

CCTV

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

chadudhy
727916.  Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote

How can I record multiple audio on a CCTV DVR with one audio input. I have four cameras with audio and only? one audio input line on my DVR system. I need to record audio from all four cameras. Is that possible? What can I do?

Commercial links removed by QI Moderator

Last edited by chadudhy on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Efros
727946.  Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote

You need a mixer - google "4-Channel Passive Mini Stereo Mixer".

CB27
727947.  Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote

I know his Fryness likes gadgets, but since when is this a technical board?

Posital
728000.  Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Just solder the four cables together - there is a chance this might work...

But then there's also a slim chance you might blow everything up if anything was badly designed...

Your choice.

PS: 25 at Maplins for a 4-channel mini-mixer...

Jenny
728049.  Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote

I find myself hovering and waiting for a commercially-linked solution to this problem to be magically revealed by the OP, but perhaps I'm just cynical.

Chaps - wherever possible, please refrain from commercial linkage - it makes this moderation lark a tad awkward. A suggestion for what to google is better unless unavoidable.

Posital
728085.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote

hahaha, was that irony? Oh.

Sorry, Jenny. My bad.

(other search engines are available - and all are commercial concerns - search for one you like using... errrrmmm... cuil?)

Jenny
728215.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Dammit - tripped up again! Google is rapidly becoming a generic term for search engines, and of course any search engine of your choice would do.

What is the name for that? Synechdoche? We need suze to tell us!

Posital
728217.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote

Synechdoche wrote:
A figure of speech in which a part is used to represent the whole, the whole for a part, the specific for the general, the general for the specific, or the material for the thing made from it. Considered by some to be a form of metonymy. Adjective: synecdochic or synecdochal.
Cool word... at least three double bonus QI points for that... and spot on the money to my reckoning...

suze
728243.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Synecdoche is certainly a rather wonderful word! Metonymy is another, and could also be used to describe this genericization of a commercial name. (Opinions differ as to whether all synecdoche is also metonymy, but it really doesn't matter.)

Google Inc really doesn't like people using its name generically, and occasionally instructs its lawyers to send out (rather futile) "cease and desist" letters. The OED appears not to have had such a letter - and probably wouldn't take any notice in any case - but it reckons that a lower case <g> should be used when one is being generic.

Which is exactly what Jenny did in post 728049, so even more points!

bobwilson
728260.  Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Google Inc really doesn't like people using its name generically

And don't even think of using Portacabin as a generic term unless you want a stiff letter from some lawyers (or you want to make sure some lawyers keep themselves out of trouble, don't mug old ladies &c, by writing pathetic and meaningless letters)

Posital
728316.  Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Google Inc really doesn't like people using its name generically, and occasionally instructs its lawyers to send out (rather futile) "cease and desist" letters. The OED appears not to have had such a letter - and probably wouldn't take any notice in any case - but it reckons that a lower case <g> should be used when one is being generic.
Perhaps it's a marketing ploy attempting to overemphasise how pervasive the google brand is.

You don't send out "cease and desist" letters if you're not going to follow them up - unless it's a marketing ploy...

I'm going to bing/cuil/hotbot/yahoo/dogpile/ask/baido it, and see if I can back that up...

In either case, it's still advertising a commercial brand... no matter how insidious. Can we put those extra points in escrow?

Efros
728320.  Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote

Hormel tried to discourage the use of their trademark to describe unsolicited email, again a possibility of free exposure.

tetsabb
728324.  Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote

I just wrote myself a note in biro, while I walked along a travelator in nylons, to remind myself to hoover the lino in the portacabin next to the tarmac road. Dynamite!

Posital
728338.  Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote

Lucky we developed the majority of language before copyright/trademarks... otherwise every word would be a legal battle...

bemahan
728365.  Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
I'm going to bing/cuil/hotbot/yahoo/dogpile/ask/baido it, and see if I can back that up...

You're just showing off now, Posital.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next