View previous topic | View next topic

Ireland: Mary McAleese and Queen Elizabeth

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

ali
726072.  Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote

The last bill that was refused the Royal Assent was the Scottish Militia Bill 1708.
There are other mechanisms whereby the monarch can prevent legislation.
For instance, in 1999 Tam Dalyell's Military Action Against Iraq (Parliamentary Approval) Bill required royal consent for its introduction (because it directly related to the Royal Prerogative powers). On the advice of the government, the queen did not give consent, and (to cut a long story short) the bill did not receive a second reading.

Edit: replaced "it's" with "its" - oh! the humanity!

Last edited by ali on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

suze
726103.  Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Though, as I understand it, whilst Her Maj technically has the power of veto in one of those "old traditions left over from 700 years ago that nobody has bothered to change" things that you find in this country, in practise it is understood that she will never use such a power.

It's improbable, certainly. But I wouldn't see it as being quite as unthinkable as you suggest - Royal Assent was withheld three times in Canada in 1937, and once in Australia as recently as 2001. (That one happened because the Gov-Gen had Royally Assented to a piece of legislation which had not, in fact, passed through Parliament. When this was noticed, the correct piece of legislation was hurriedly placed before him, and Royal Assent to the other was revoked.)

dr.bob wrote:
She's probably well aware that, if she ever did try to use that power, parliament would pretty quickly start debating the "Abolition of the Monarchy" bill.

It can't unless she allows it to! Just as with Tam Dalyell's Ten Minute Rule bill on Iraq, the consent of HM would be needed before a bill which would abolish the monarchy could be debated.

Sir Tam never really intended his Iraq bill to become law - he just wanted to see how far Tony Blair would be willing to go to stop him debating it. When he discovered that the answer to this was "All the way to the Queen", he and the eleven other MPs (Benn, Marshall-Andrews, Skinner, and such like) who supported his bill got a bit cross.

busk31
726603.  Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote

I think that it is great that you can disqualify a man for being all heart and no brain, and then steal his show. Well Done :)

I do recall the Smurf-Movie now. I do believe the head-Smurf tried to shag the queen of England to death in that movie.
Now that is a level 9 Ninja-Tactics kinda move and far beyond what any normal Smurf would be able to accomplish and he was not really that succesfull if i recall correctly.

Spud McLaren
726900.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote

busk31 wrote:
I think that it is great that you can disqualify a man for being all heart and no brain, and then steal his show. Well Done :)
Are we talking about HIGNFY here?

;-)

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7