View previous topic | View next topic

Disney

Page 1 of 1

UncaScroogeMcD
31250.  Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Only because I've been doing a bit of writing on a side project that uses this nugget as a launching point - Walter Elias Disney was the very first cartoon voice actor, providing the voice for Mickey Mouse in the earliest sound cartoon to garner national attention, 1928's "Steamboat Willy" (the first sound cartoons were actually done by the rival Fleischer studio between 1924-26)

He would continue voicing Mickey until the "Mickey & the Beanstalk" segment of the 1946 film "Fun & Fancy Free," turning over the role to veteran studio sound man Jim Macdonald (who would continue to voice the character for over 30 years) when he became too busy.

However, he would play Mickey one last time before he passed away - when Mickey made his television debut as MC of the "Mickey Mouse Club," Walt decided to voice all of the Mouse's intros himself for the various theme days (you'll notice that Mickey has become a heavy smoker in the intervening years).

ben.lavender
31254.  Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:46 pm Reply with quote

"Inside the mouse", written by a disgruntled ex-Disney employee, describes the the working conditions as a suited Disney character in the park in Florida. It gets so hot that staff frequently throw up in side their suits. However to ensure the don't scare the children they are not allowed to remove their heads but have to wave manically for a truck to pick them up. So the next time you see Mickey waving just think.

Ben

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0822316242

brackett
31273.  Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote

This is a dangerous thread for me. Jack and Flash will know what I mean.

Close it at once before I am tempted to join in on Disney facts. I won't get to sleep.

I must leave now.

OH one tiny fact before I leave. Disney's father, Elias, didn't want Walt to go into animation. Instead he wanted him to take over the family business, and run Elias Disney's jelly factory.

laidbacklazyman
31320.  Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote

Mickey Mouses ears were always circular no matter what angle they were viewed from.
Apparently, Jack Nicholson started out as a runner for Walt Disney, years later when JN was a successful actor he met Walt at an awards ceremony when WD said to him, "I remember you, you used to work for me didn't you? what are you up to these days?"
no src for that it was a trivia book

Mostly Harmless
31394.  Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Bakhesh
34408.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote

Seems like there are loads of Disney stories floating around, most of which aren't true. Snopes has its own section on Disney.

A couple of the ones that are true though (and quite interesting) are....

The Rescuers features a photo of a topless woman in the background (http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.htm)

Disney once made an animated film called "The story of menstruation" (http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/menses.htm)

and the Lemmings one, which i though was an urban myth, but snopes says is actually true (http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm)

Tas
34427.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote

I wonder who the Topless Woman was, and if she could sue for

a. Copyright infringement
b. Invasion of Privacy and
c. Possible Theft of the picture used

:-D

Tas

Anna
34500.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy made a famous appearance The Little Mermaid (1989).

electrictinsel
37321.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote

According to a mock GCSE English exam our teacher gave us, the original Disneyland was built in only 356 days, and the park opening was a disaster. 28,000 people turned up (only 11,000 were invited), all of the rides broke down and the asphalt, which wasn't dry yet, swallowed people's shoes. On top of it all, the whole thing was televised.

You'd think that bad publicity would have harmed the park's popularity, but apparantly not...

UncaScroogeMcD
37781.  Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote

Not only that, the opening day television broadcast was hosted by an actor by the name of Ronald Reagan.

There are many stories of "Walt's Folly", including the fact that the ABC television network was sold a substantial stake in the park when Walt ran short on funds - he eventually bought the stake back... And as of 1997, the Disney company purchased ABC.

Page 1 of 1