Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Bondee
796759.  Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Is it... safe?

sjb
796763.  Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Arcane
797249.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote

The insult du jour amongst the younger set apparently is "Go die in a hole".

Urgh. Not witty or clever, just...nasty. But then again you can't expect much else at that age. :(

bobwilson
797251.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote

Could be worse Arcane - you could get

Quote:
You have demonstrated that your version of debate is to misinterpret, misquote, belittle, shout down, and wander wildly off-topic.

You show no sources or evidence to back up what you say, nor (more seriously) to back up your attacks on other sources.

Also not witty or clever (or even accurate) - but perhaps one might expect something better from someone studying at degree level?

sjb
797257.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote

Burn.

Arcane
797260.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote

And "that's so gay" seems to be another insult.

In my day it was "you're fat".

sjb
797263.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Yo mama's so fat, when she sits around the house she sits around the house.

That was about as mean as I got verbally as a kid.

samivel
797268.  Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Could be worse Arcane - you could get

Quote:
You have demonstrated that your version of debate is to misinterpret, misquote, belittle, shout down, and wander wildly off-topic.

You show no sources or evidence to back up what you say, nor (more seriously) to back up your attacks on other sources.

Also not witty or clever (or even accurate) - but perhaps one might expect something better from someone studying at degree level?

That dig, on the other hand, positively shines with wit.

Possibly Spoonerised.

tetsabb
798197.  Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote

I am dipping into the QI book 'If Ignorance is bliss...' occasionally at the moment. I found this from Ambrose Bierce, American editorialist, journalist, short story writer, fabulist and satirist.

Quote:
The covers of this book are too far apart

Ouch

dr bartolo
802286.  Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote

My crack at a chnese translation of a Blackadder insult

你的脑比一个宦官的内裤更空

"your mind is emptier than a eunuch's underpants"

(no offense intended)

Spud McLaren
802296.  Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote

As compliments go, that's very Chan.

djgordy
807393.  Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
UK Prime Minister David Cameron has poured scorn on former premier Gordon Brown's bid to become Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund. "It does seem to me that if you have someone who didn't think we had a debt problem in the UK, when we self-evidently did have a debt problem, might not be the most appropriate person to work out whether other countries around the world have debt or deficit problems," Cameron told BBC Radio 4's Today Program.

"It's very important that the IMF is run by someone extraordinarily competent and capable," Cameron added.

http://www.automatedtrader.net/real-time-news/75057/uk039s-cameron-brown-shouldn039t-be-imf-chief-competence-key

Evidently, Mr. Cameron is a lot more astute than I gave him credit for.

Ainee
807406.  Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote

Arcane wrote:
The insult du jour amongst the younger set apparently is "Go die in a hole".

Urgh. Not witty or clever, just...nasty. But then again you can't expect much else at that age. :(

Ah, that's where the phrase originated. I was curious about it, when a practising Psychotherapist recently telephoned me, including this and other more specific murder threats. She was completely unknown to me, but I had been warned in several frantic emails from my former Shaman that this woman had kidnapped him, and held him prisoner in Northants. She had already attempted to stab him and push him down staircases, but he preferred to stay with her to living alone. She had intercepted his mobile phone call to me, commiserating with my recent widowhood. I assume her age group was in the 50 to 60 year old bracket.

The Police were duly informed, along with her Professional References, address and contact details. I still half-expect to hear her name in the newspapers, associated with a violent murder of her Lover.

Honestly, you would not believe the stories I hear in real life, and yet am cautious about including in my novel...

Fact is stranger than fiction.

sjb
807415.  Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Ainee, you so often make my jaw drop! :o

Ainee
807419.  Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Every time I come up with a ridiculous plot, someone I know manifests it in reality. I generally avoid murder plots; it just invites in bad luck for someone. Pleasurable Hopefullness is preferred...

Now if I had the courage to write Truth instead of Fiction, it would all be so much more plausible somehow...

Ainee wanders off, baffled yet again by the convergence of supposedly parallel realities.

Page 17 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next