View previous topic | View next topic

Ikaros Project

Page 1 of 1

djgordy
720426.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote

The Ikaros Project is a Japanese venture which seeks to determine the viability of using solar sails as a means of space craft propulsion. The sail generates electrickery from solar cells as well as using the solar wind to create propulsion.

The first photos of the solar sail were released on June 16th 2010. Here it is.

The word "cool" hardly begins to describe it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10293284.stm

"Ikaros", of course, comes from the character in the Greek myth whose wings melted causing him to fall into the sea. Perhaps not the best name for a space craft then!

Spud McLaren
721116.  Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
"Ikaros", of course, comes from the character in the Greek myth whose wings melted causing him to fall into the sea. Perhaps not the best name for a space craft then!
Should be OK, as Icarus's wing wax melted when he flew too near the sun. Presumably this Ikaros will be heading away from the sun, and there won't be a sea for him to fall into - unless it's the Mare Tranquillitatis.

tetsabb
721307.  Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote

I love it when something I have read about for years in Science Fiction as a possibility gets closer to reality. One benefit of getting older.

djgordy
721381.  Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote

I think they have some way to go before they match a Bajoran lightship.

Quote:
A Bajoran lightship was a type of early Bajoran spacegoing vessel that utilized solar sail-powered space flight. These vessels were used by the Bajorans as early as the 16th century, at a time prior to the Fall of their First Republic.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bajoran_lightship

Spud McLaren
721504.  Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote

When the production team came up with that design, I'm sure a member of the team had been listening to (& looking at the album artwork of) Olias of Sunhillow.. It looks a lot like the Moorglade.

djgordy
721559.  Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote

The artwork for "Olias of Sunhillow" was done by someone called David Fairbrother -Roe.

"Hi David, it's Jon here. Jon Anderson from Yes. I'd like you to design the cover of my new album. What's that? No, I'm not asking you just because Roger Dean is too busy. Yes, it is a science fictioney thing so if we could have some stylistic continuity with the science fictioney themes of the Yes albums that would be great. Yes, I know those were done by Roger Dean but I'm not just asking you because Roger is too busy. OK, that's great."

<Puts phone down>

"Guys, are we absolutely sure that Roger Dean is too busy?"

"

Icarus
722170.  Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote

I don't remember signing off on this project, but I'm pleased that it is underway.

Note to self: must contact trademark attorney.

Ion Zone
722210.  Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote

I find it really interesting that people keep naming flying stuff after a guy whose only claim to fame is that he caught fire and crashed.

Not a lot of boats named Titanic, I see....

Page 1 of 1