View previous topic | View next topic

Intersections

Page 1 of 1

mckeonj
720324.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Intersection (aviation)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In aviation, an intersection is a virtual navigational fix that helps aircraft to maintain their flight plan. It is usually defined as the intersection (in the geometrical sense) of two VOR radials.

Intersections also play an important role in departure and approach procedures. All intersections have an alphabetical or alphanumeric designation. Near major airports, the intersection designation code typically consists of three letters followed by the runway number. Most other intersection designations consist of five-letter combinations that are either pronounceable or chosen for their mnemonic value, since either air traffic control or the flight plan may require the pilot to recall the designation.

Intersections are fun!
Some examples:
In the English Channel BOGNA BENBO DRAKE
Near the Isle of Man KELLY
In Essex BRAIN
Off the Isle of Wight KATHY (should be CATHY, why?)
Savannaah, GA CATHY

Now, a guessing game:
Where would you find DUMAS DEFOE CAMUS HAPPY HIPPO in the same region?

tetsabb
720339.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote

These should of course not be confused with motorway intersections, where 2 motorways cross or meet.
So my guessing game is:
Where would you find
a) The Sunbury/Wraysbury slip
b) The Hooley/Godstone slip

suze
720458.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
The Hooley/Godstone slip

That must be at the junction of the M25 with the M23. Is it the next junction clockwise which has the two mile long slip road?

tetsabb
720547.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote

First part of suze's answer is good, second part close but no banana. The long slip road is Junction 8 of M25

Bondee
720577.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
a) The Sunbury/Wraysbury slip

Is that something to do with my location?
(look at my User Profile)

mckeonj
720582.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote

There is a world outside the M25.

Bondee
720584.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Well, yeah, but seeing as a) tetsabb oversees the CCTV cameras that cover the M25 and b) Wraysbury is very close to junction 13 of the M25, something to do with the M25 would be the obvious answer.

tetsabb
721103.  Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote

Going back to mckeonj's first post, I have been nagging away at the back of my memory (and Google a bit, to be honest), and simply can not get it.
Grrr

Sorry to have diverted attention away from it with my motorway-related gubbins.

mckeonj
721149.  Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Regarding the Airway Intersections, it is probably extremely difficult to tease the puzzle out using GOOGLE, but useful background reading is here:
Airport ABCs: An Explanation of Airport Identifier Codes
http://www.skygod.com/asstd/abc.html
Note to pedants: These are not acronyms but location codes, much the same as Post (ZIP) Codes. I think that the five letter codes here are 'pentagrams', but am willing to be corrected on this; bearing in mind that they have to be pronouncable or mnemonic, there may be a better word.

Spoilt Victorian
721339.  Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote

I can find the waypoints DUMAS, DEFOE and HIPPO on the approach to Fuzhou (China) - all points being in the Taiwan strait.

CAMUS i find just off the coast of Tasmania on the approach vector for Melbourne and

HAPPY looks to be halfway between Honolulu and Seattle.

Since my source of reference is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, there may be a margin of error :S

I imagine I'm on the right track anyway

Page 1 of 1