View previous topic | View next topic

IQ

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

greentree
728375.  Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote

Yes, me too. I passed the test (there are two; one verbal/reasoning, and one that's called 'visual fair' or something like that. You pass either one, or both, and they invite you to join). I was a member for a year...... and then stopped. The magazine featured a lot of chess and backgammon - games which i have no interest in and no desire to learn, and ongoing debates about various weird subjects. Again, i had no interest in these either.

I think one of the assumptions about mensa is that if your brain works a certain way (whichever 'way' makes you able to pass their tests), then you will be interested in stuff like that.
One of the magazines featured a thing about the 'mensa games' - i got all excited thinking it was going to be sport......nope, it was scrabble, backgammon, chess, and other such things. Yawn......

Posital
728411.  Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
Surely knowledge is the possession of facts? Intelligence is knowing what to do with those facts. And wisdom is what you end up with as a result ;).
Hmm... systems-thinking has it slightly different...

Quote:
According to Russell Ackoff, a systems theorist and professor of organizational change, the content of the human mind can be classified into five categories:
1. Data: symbols
2. Information: data that are processed to be useful; provides answers to "who", "what", "where", and "when" questions
3. Knowledge: application of data and information; answers "how" questions
4. Understanding: appreciation of "why"
5. Wisdom: evaluated understanding.

The second step, I would equate with intelligence. But in spy film circles - Intelligence would cover almost everything...

RLDavies
728474.  Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote

Hmm, I think I'd equate "intelligence" more with step 3 of your list, the ability to apply data to situations that arise. Unless I'm misunderstanding the list.

I'm picturing the first three steps as:
1. Data, raw input. "This is ice."
2. Information, data that have been processed and understood by cross-linking with other data. "Ice is frozen water. Ice is cold, hard, and slippery."
3. Knowledge, application of the previous two categories. "You can cool a drink by adding ice to it."

Knowledge can be drawn upon to solve new problems as they arise -- you can figure out, without being told, how you might use ice to cool other things. Problem-solving ability is usually what people mean by intelligence, and it's mostly what IQ tests measure.

Posital
728496.  Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Soz, my mistake - meant third step - I can only agree with the above.

(I had to change the numbering system when I found the proper reference)

greentree
728541.  Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Well going by that impossible quiz, i'm not that intelligent. 7/20.
Rather US biased, i feel......

bobwilson
728559.  Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote

Not so much US biased as just biased

Q1 - Roll Snake Eyes - what's Snake Eyes then?

Q2 - you do know the relationship between pounds and kilograms?

Q3 - Silver Wedding Anniversary?

And so on. As a test of intelligence I'd give it a score of about -97 (it would have been a full -100 but for the fact that some people seem to have fallen for it).

HarryAlffa
749114.  Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote

Interesting difference between data and information.
I think what changes one into the other is context.
155 is data.
But it only becomes information when a context is supplied; my IQ score.

My brother, struggling to convey meaning, said the other day, "I've only go three bars of petrol left."
"You drive a mobile phone?"

We've all been there; you have something to say, but your vocabulary has gone missing. I think it Quite Intelligent to substitute vocabulary from one idiom to another like he did.

RLDavies,
I agree with you, problem solving intelligence is what IQ tests mostly measure.
I also agree that it is this ability which most people mostly mean if they comment on someones high intelligence/IQ.

I have to disagree with Professor Ackoff on his definition of knowledge, although is this more probably his special use of the term in his field?
I think most people would aim for General Knowledge meaning an accumulation of information (data + context).

Yes, OK. If you've got Bluetooth in the car, you can say you are driving a mobile phone.

sjb
769125.  Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote

Blast from the past . . . .

RLDavies wrote:
The same people have also produced The Impossible Quiz HERE, for real masochists. Nobody has ever scored 100% on this beast, and if you try it you'll see why.

19/20 for me. Thus, methinks it is all a bunch of hooey. :P

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2