View previous topic | View next topic

thoth

Page 1 of 1

hassan el kebir
719782.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote

Yes, I know Thoth doesn’t start with an ‘I’ but bear with me.

Thoth, originally a moon god, was associated with writing and knowledge and eventually came to preside over scribes and scholars of all types. He appears in two distinct forms, primarily as an IBIS or as a baboon. Representations of him as an ibis appear on slate palettes of the Predynastic Period (5500-3150 BC) and he was obviously considered a major deity by the times of the Old Kingdom (2686-2125 BC) where he is frequently mentioned in the Pyramid Texts in which, together with Re, the sun god, they are described as the ‘two companions’ who cross the sky. The gods were said to travel on the ‘wing’ of Thoth across the ‘winding waterway’ or ‘river’ of the heavens.

During the Old Kingdom Thoth was incorporated into the solar theology together with Osiris who he was said to protect and serve both directly and indirectly in the pharaoh who on death became one with Osiris.

The ‘Contendings of Horus and Seth’ tell us that Thoth was the son of Horus and that he emerged from the forehead of Seth who had eaten Horus’s semen on some lettuce plants.

It was Thoth who was said to have invented the art of writing. All areas of knowledge and all kinds of written treatises fell under his care. He commanded magic and secrets not even known by the other gods.

His record keeping extended into the afterlife where he would stand by the scales which weighed the heart of the deceased and record the verdict. It was this role that gave Thoth the reputation of truth and integrity.

Thoth was, naturally, particularly venerated by scribes who, it is said, at the start of each day poured a drop of water from the pot in which they dipped their brushes.

samivel
719872.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote

hassan el kebir wrote:
The ‘Contendings of Horus and Seth’ tell us that Thoth was the son of Horus and that he emerged from the forehead of Seth who had eaten Horus’s semen on some lettuce plants.

And how did Horus's semen come to be on the lettuce plants in the first place? Was he having a wank in the vegetable garden?

;)

Spud McLaren
719903.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Haven't you heard of tossed salad?

Jenny
719904.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Egyptian mythology, IIRC, involves a fair amount of wanking so that is not unlikely.

hassan el kebir
719942.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote

Well it's got to be a good excuse if one is ever caught at it....'I'm not wanking dear, I'm performing one of the ancient rites of Horus'

Page 1 of 1