View previous topic | View next topic

Invective filters to maximum, please...

Page 1 of 1

Spud McLaren
719537.  Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote

I suppose we should also consider Israel, Iran, and Iraq.

bobwilson
719677.  Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote

We could lump them together under "Invented Countries"

Spud McLaren
719693.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote

But all countries are invented, so wouldn't that be tautological?

exnihilo
719724.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote

As "Iran" has continuously been the name of a state roughly corresponding to the area of the Islamic Republic of Iran for over 2,500 years I'm struggling to work out what definition of "made up" you're using, bobwilson unless it is the one that Spud suggests - in which case what was the point?

'yorz
719910.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote

I give you Ishmael (Call me...)

Quite a complex character: mentioned in Old- as well as New Testament, Qur'an, and Bahá'í writings. The circumcision of Muslims apparently has its roots in the tradition that Ishmael was circumcised.

In some Christian biblical interpretations, Ishmael is used to symbolize the older—now rejected—Judaic tradition; Isaac symbolizes the new tradition of Christianity. Islamic tradition, however, has a very positive view of Ishmael, giving him a larger and more significant role. The Qur'an views him as an Islamic prophet. According to the contextual interpretation of some early Islamic theologians (whose view prevailed later), Ishmael was the actual son that Abraham was called on to sacrifice, as opposed to Isaac.

QI

Page 1 of 1