CB27
740122.  Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote

Kevin

plinkplonk
740793.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't anyone know?

Sadurian Mike
740797.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote

A quick Google would give you the answer, but to save you the seconds involved it is "Malik al-maut".

plinkplonk
740913.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you know it, Mike, or you've Googled it as well, not that I'm doubting your intelligence you understand, it's just its not widely known. At least you didn't the more obvious and wrong answer, which no one here seems to have heard of...

Last edited by plinkplonk on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sadurian Mike
740914.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote

I Googled for the correct spelling, but it was one of those facts I knew thanks to my unhealthy interests in folklore and fantasy.

plinkplonk
740915.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Apologies.

Sadurian Mike
740916.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote

For what?

suze
740917.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Go on then plinkplonk, I'll take the gambit.

Why would I earn a klaxon for suggesting that the answer is Azrael?

Efros
740924.  Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote

I didn't get one for Israel.

plinkplonk
740981.  Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote

Yes, you're right, he is Islamic as well, a source said he was Judeo-Christian. Maybe because the Koran doesn't mention him by name. I suppose if you can't mention a name that should set off a klaxon, but it doesn't mean its not a perfectly good answer. I just thought people would say that just because of the Discworld and various other references.

Whoops.

Zarafa
741925.  Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
A quick Google would give you the answer, but to save you the seconds involved it is "Malik al-maut".

True if you wanted the exact phrase "Angel of Death" in Arabic. As others have mentioned this figure is commonly referred to as (spelling variations aside) Azrael.

Fun fact: Moses apparently punched him in the eye.

Quote:
Only those whom God has chosen (e.g., Idrīs, Elijah, al-Khaḍir, Jesus) evade his lethal grasp; Moses is given an extra year that he might see the promised land (al-Bukhārī, bk. 23 (al-Janāʾiz), bāb 68, Beirut ed., 241), after hitting the angel of death in the eye (Ibn Ḥanbal, 8616, Beirut ed., 14:264–5; cf. the Talmudic tradition, Sota, 13b). Reynolds, Gabriel Said. "Angels." Encyclopaedia of Islam, THREE. Edited by: Gudrun Krämer, ; Denis Matringe, ; John Nawas and ; Everett Rowson. Brill, 2010. Brill Online. University of Exeter. 10 September 2010 <http://0-www.brillonline.nl.lib.exeter.ac.uk/subscriber/entry?entry=ei3_COM-23204>

sjb
764763.  Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote

I came across this article on toilet etiquette for Muslims and the highlights for me were:

Quote:
While on the toilet, one must remain silent. Talking, answering greetings or greeting others is strongly discouraged.

Quote:
When defecating together, two men cannot converse, nor look at each other's private parts, and especially not handle each other's private parts.

Quote:
The Islamic prophet Muhammad specified that one should use an odd number of stones (preferably three) to cleanse the anal orifice after defecation and then proceed to a different location to wash it with water.

Quote:
When leaving the toilet, one is advised to leave with the right foot, and also say a prayer - "Praise be to Allah who relieved me of the filth and gave me relief."

My Muslims friends are some of the cleanest people I know. The whole "odd number of stones . . . to cleanse the anal orifice" bit is so incongruous to my impression of them. (I imagine some sharp obsidian or rough pumice would put me off this stone-cleansing straight away.) I certainly can't imagine two of them doing their business in the company of one another. Golly.

bobwilson
764767.  Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
While on the toilet, one must remain silent. Talking, answering greetings or greeting others is strongly discouraged.

That's inherently contradictory. If one MUST remain silent then any strong discouragement to talk, greet or answer greetings is irrelevant. Didn't God read his texts before putting them in writing?

Quote:
When defecating together, two men cannot converse, nor look at each other's private parts, and especially not handle each other's private parts.

Well - that's a relief - but kind of irrelevant given the earlier admonishment about remaining silent.

I prefer the system of English Law. Nothing is "written" - everything is open to change and interpretation. It's not perfect by a long chalk but it's far better than relying on trying to interpret what some dead bloke(s) said as they do in the US and other religious based communities.

Curious Danny
764914.  Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:

That's inherently contradictory. If one MUST remain silent then any strong discouragement to talk, greet or answer greetings is irrelevant. Didn't God read his texts before putting them in writing?

a) The source for these are hadith - oral narrations which tell people who don't have access to an answer through the Qur'an what they should do in certain situations - not a monolithic source of information.
b) Conversation has a strong visual element - waving for instance - so not inherently contradictory

sjb
764927.  Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Curious Danny wrote:
a) The source for these are hadith - oral narrations which tell people who don't have access to an answer through the Qur'an what they should do in certain situations - not a monolithic source of information.
b) Conversation has a strong visual element - waving for instance - so not inherently contradictory

Indeed. And indeed.

Sign language allows people to hold a conversation without making noise. Sending text messages on (silent) mobile phones. Etc.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next