View previous topic | View next topic

India

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

annadevis
790916.  Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote

India is famous and popular country in all over the world. Delhi is capital of India. There are many city and states available in india. In india there are many public transport like local bus, auto rickshaw, train. plain and so on.

plinkplonk
793208.  Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote

For the second most populous country in the world this thread seems rather short.

Old Ripley of Ripley's Believe it or Not! talks of a huge number of fakirs he saw in India, people piercing their bodies, whipping, getting teeth knocked out, people staring at the sun until they went blind, the list was endless...

CB27
793219.  Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone's been watching the Human Planet on BBC (yet one more programme that makes the licence really worth it). In one of the episodes they highlighted the "living bridges" of Cherrapunji.

Cherrapunji is a place in India which used to be considered the wettest place on Earth, but I believe it's now ranked second or third. It holds the record for the most rainfall recorded in a year (1860-1861), when the rainfall for the year was more than 75 feet (nearly 23m for our French readers), and in July 1861 it recorded a monthly rainfall of nearly 31 feet (again, 9.3m for the French...).

Compare this to London, which can get wet at time, London averages less than 23 inches (59cm) of rain a YEAR.

Because of the swelling of rivers, bridges are hard to maintain, so a few centuries ago the locals worked out that they can use the upper roots of the Rubber Fig tree to entwine together and create bridges which are sustained by the trees themselves. It takes years to create these bridges, and some are thought to be over half a millenia old.

These bridges can be so strong the locals actually paved them with stones, and some can take as many as 50 people on them at the same time.

Here are some pictures, courtey of www.rootbridges.blogspot.com:

Leith
793498.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote

Fascinating, CB. I've never seen anything like those bridges before.

Ainee
793653.  Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
Fascinating, CB. I've never seen anything like those bridges before.

Seconded. Thank you for this, CB!

CB27
793660.  Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote

Watching one of the guys teaching his daughter how to make/maintain them was amazing to see, they pass this knowledge from generation to generation and keep it going.

This programme only touched a little on this, I'd like to see a dedicated programme to it, but would recommend the Human Planet series for anyone to watch.

Spud McLaren
797996.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote

India's train stations with the longest and shortest names - the shortest being Ib.

suze
797999.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote

There is no British railway station with a two letter name; there are eleven with three letter names - Ash, Ayr, Ely, IBM, Lee, Lye, Ore, Par, Rye, Wem, and Wye.

But what is Britain's longest station name?

Beware of the klaxon ...

Spud McLaren
798001.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Sir Muhammad Iqbal - that's not the name of the station, to which subject I may return, but of Pakistan's national poet; however he died before the formation of Pakistan. Quite an interesting chap.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets; they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."

sjb
798005.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
But what is Britain's longest station name?

Is it:

Rhoose Cardiff International Airport railway station

?

:)

suze
798007.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote

sjbodell wrote:
Rhoose Cardiff International Airport

Yes.

In the nicest possible way, damn you!

sjb
798008.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Hehehe, your hint in white helped me. I was thinking of the klaxon-worthy answer before I saw that.

Spud McLaren
798009.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote

I knew it wasn't going to be the klaxonworthy answer, but hadn't bargained on the simple reason: that there's a longer one. I assumed it would be because (I reasoned) the klaxonworthy one's official rail name was its shortened version. I was about to look this up when....

suze
798012.  Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote

The klaxonworthy answer is officially called Llanfairpwll, yes.

There was a station with a longer name than the klaxonworthy version of that one, viz Gorsafawddacha'idraigodanheddogleddoll˘npenrhynareurdraethceredigion.

But this has three points against it:

1. It's not the official name of the station, that being Golf Halt.
2. It's on a miniature railway which has never formed part of the National Railway System.
3. The name of the station is bad Welsh, and doesn't stand up to proper scrutiny.

Spud McLaren
798066.  Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
... The name of the station is bad Welsh...
Sounds like somewhere in Westphalia.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next