View previous topic | View next topic

Time-out bug?

Page 1 of 1

bemahan
719191.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a bug, but the other day someone (?Leith) made a post and then commented that for some reason he'd appeared as 'Guest'.
This evening I was logged in but had been inactive for an hour. Normally when I then go to make a post I find I've been logged out. However, I made a post with no problem but the post was attributed to 'Guest'. I then saw that I was logged out.
So maybe that was what happened to Leith.
Is it a bug? It hasn't happened to me before.

Sadurian Mike
719202.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Do you have "automatically sign me in" activated?

I went through the same thing a year or two back, but it stopped after I ticked the "auto sign in" box.

bemahan
719205.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Do you have "automatically sign me in" activated?

I went through the same thing a year or two back, but it stopped after I ticked the "auto sign in" box.

No, but I never have had 'auto sign in' and haven't had a problem before. I don't really want 'auto sign in' as we all share computers.

dr.bob
719330.  Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote

Can you point me at the posts in question.

My initial hunch is that perhaps the software doesn't give you the option of replying if you're not logged in but, if you're logged in and get the reply box, but hit submit after you've been auto-logged out, it doesn't reject the message but simply posts it and, as you've been logged out so it doesn't know who you are, attributes the post to Guest.

I'll do a bit of code digging to see if I can find the relevant section. It seems to me that, if you've been auto-logged out, it shouldn't post the message but instead ask you to log back in again.

bemahan
719383.  Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote

Hi, dr. bob. post 719181 was the post in question.
I typed the post and hit submit after I'd been away from the QI website for about an hour, but it may be that coincidentally the auto-log-in happened just at the point between my writing the post and hitting submit.

I'll see if I can find Leith's post

Edit - here it is post 718900
Followed by Leith pointing out it had shown him as a Guest :post 718902

96aelw
719479.  Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote

I think it's just that, at present, one doesn't seem to need to be logged in (or indeed even a member) to post in the shiny new I series forum.

Jenny
719492.  Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote

Thanks Alf - that was indeed the case, and my mistake when I set the forum up - I had it as 'public' instead of 'registered'. I've corrected it now.

dr.bob
719703.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote

Ah yes, one of the other things that everyone forgets to do because we only ever set up a new forum once a year :)

Thanks for solving the problem, and thanks for fixing it Jenny.

Page 1 of 1