View previous topic | View next topic

Signatures

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Efros
719116.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote

Option doesn't appear in reply box, even when profile is set to always attach signatures.

Efros
719117.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote

See this reply has no signature.

MinervaMoon
719125.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
See this reply has no signature.

You have to Quote or Preview for it to work.

Efros
719127.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote

Seems an oversight in the code, the profile flag should override the settings on an individual post.

Neotenic
719131.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote

I would just say that the fact we don't get over-swamped with signature pictures is one of the things I like about these boards.

Incidentally, why attach a picture to each of your posts that is in the top corner of every screen anyway?

Efros
719134.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote

Why have a signature at all, same reason.

Ameena
719144.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I prefer avatars to signature (not animated ones, though :P). I can remember posters so much easier when they have some kind of little picture to differentiate them from someone else with a similar name or whatever.

Jenny
733656.  Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote

I changed the title of this thread to make it more general about signatures so that I could make a specific point about them.

As moderators, we are not happy about links in signatures unless they are directly related to QI - as for example Ian Dunn's petition link and Minerva Moon's QI transcript link. There is a dedicated thread in the General Banter forum for posters to post links to their blogs, and we are delighted to hear from them there. However, just as commercial links are a definite no-no, a link to a blog in a signature suggests a dedication to search engine optimization that seems at odds with the anti-spamming culture of these forums.

We would very much appreciate it if users would bear this in mind when creating signatures.

Posital
733700.  Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote

A friend from north africa was denied a passport because his signature was not his name being written.

Is this still an issue, so when you sign, you can't use your sign...??

Ion Zone
733722.  Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Incidentally, why attach a picture to each of your posts that is in the top corner of every screen anyway?

It is a very helpful way of visually identifying a poster and acts as a sort of 'face'. It is much easier to identify a specific poster and their personality from their avatar than it is from their name, even if many are stupid.

Ameena
733725.  Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Oh good, I'm not the only person who thinks that :).

Spoilt Victorian
733727.  Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Quote:

It is a very helpful way of visually identifying a poster and acts as a sort of 'face'. It is much easier to identify a specific poster and their personality from their avatar than it is from their name, even if many are stupid.

I think that too.
I like clicking on signature links and second-guessing the reasons for pictures.Sometimes these things give away more information than the posters realise.

Then again, perhaps I'm just nosey!

Jenny
749826.  Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote

OK folks - the elves and moderators have been having some conversation about this and...

... we are going to disable the signatures shortly.

Unfortunately, it is becoming standard practice with spammers to register on the site, put a few innocuous posts on, and then some months later (when the post has disappeared and the poster is off the radar) return and edit the post to include a spammy sig.

Up with this we will not put. Spam is nasty stuff, and it behooves all of us who run websites to try and get rid of it. Spam that is up front in a post gets deleted very quickly, but this is much harder to spot and delete because unlike a post it doesn't bump up to the top of a list and get read but lurks unless somebody happens to resurrect an old thread.

Apologies to all those innocent parties who enjoy having a signature on their posts.

Posital
749885.  Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't stop us putting a sig-like thing at the end of our posts - if we weely weely need to.

Which obviously wouldn't be a route for post-hoc spam...

Efros
749900.  Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote

fairynuff.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next