View previous topic | View next topic

Italy

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
718882.  Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote

In Italy, it is illegal for to buy something and not to take the receipt with you.

The reason for this is tax evasion. It was believed that in Italian restaurants people did dodgy cash-in-hand deals and under-reported their earnings to the taxman.

As a result, the law requires that customers must be given a receipt (scontrino) or a more officious invoice (ricevuta fiscale) and keep it on their person as they leave a restaurant or shop, acting as proof of the transaction.

If the customer is not given one or if they dispose of it on the way out, the implication is that you are colluding in tax avoidance, and you can be fined 155. These laws apply to clothes shopping and also to on-the-spot traffic fines.

In 1992, a mother was fined 33,000 lire (about 25 in today's money) after leaving a shop without a receipt for 500 lire (0.35) chocolate bar bought for her two-year-old son.

Source: Bears Can't Run Downhill and 200 Other Dubious Pub Facts Explained by Robert Anwood, p. 171-172.

Ion Zone
719003.  Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote

While I was there I heard it was to do with the Mafia, and that if you are in a restaurant you must be able to produce a receipt on demand, they bring it to your table before you eat.

Ian Dunn
719051.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote

Well, maybe it is Mafia-backed restaurants who are doing the tax-doging.

Ion Zone
719249.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote

I think it was more to do with non-monetary extortion. Or something.

Ian Dunn
719699.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote

Also on the subject on Italy and taxes, under Mussolini there was a tax on bachelors.

The tax, on all men aged between 25 and 65, came into force on 1 January, 1927. The tax was planned to make more men marry and produce more children.

Although the tax raised 230 million lire in 1939, a lot of men still remained bachelors and the plan failed.

Source A and Source B

Spud McLaren
719923.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Also on the subject on Italy and taxes, under Mussolini there was a tax on bachelors.

The tax, on all men aged between 25 and 65, came into force on 1 January, 1927. The tax was planned to make more men marry and produce more children.

Although the tax raised 230 million lire in 1939, a lot of men still remained bachelors and the plan failed.
Presumably because, unless the tax was at more than 85% gross income, it was cheaper to remain single.

Ian Dunn
719929.  Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Here is an interesting Italian question:

Quote:
Q: What has Daniele Luttazzi been accused of stealing?

The answer is jokes - 500 of them.

Luttazzi, an Italian comedian, has had to defend himself from claims that he has stolen hundreds of jokes from English-speaking comedians and passed them off as his own.

Amongst the comedians it has been claimed he stole material from include George Carlin, Emo Philips, Eddie Izzard, Bill Hicks, Steven Wright, Stewart Lee, Chris Rock, Linda Smith, Lewis Black, Mitch Hedberg and Stewart Francis.

Complete list of jokes claimed Luttazzi has stolen

Story from Chortle.co.uk

Story from The Comic's Comic with video (makes more sense if you are Italian)

Ian Dunn
723453.  Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Following their exit from the 1966 World Cup where they lost to North Korea, the Italian fans were pelted with rotten fruit as they got off their plane back home.

Source: BBC

dr.bob
723824.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote

I think you'll find it was the team that was pelted with rotten fruit, not the fans.

RLDavies
723846.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote

Some of the fans might have been caught in the crossfire.

Ion Zone
724020.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote

When's our team due back? :)

Ian Dunn
724021.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
When's our team due back? :)

Some time tomorrow morning. I'm guessing about 2am to avoid the fans.

Flash
724041.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote

I've never understood this business about flying home when you get knocked out. They're all football enthusiasts, their diaries are presumably clear, the South African climate is quite congenial - why wouldn't they stay and watch a few matches? If you were playing in a club tennis tournament and went home when you got knocked out instead of staying for tea and doing the other players the courtesy of watching them play, that would just be regarded as sour grapes, and extremely poor form.

Spud McLaren
724054.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote

But they're interested in playing football, not watching it!

Of course the money never comes into it....

thedrew
724056.  Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote

One assumes cost is a factor. There's no longer a financial benefit to the national team for them to stay. While I suppose an individual player could opt to fly home later on his own, it's probably better to take the flight your team's on and head home to see family.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next