Spud McLaren
720593.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Peter Hammill - Viking.
Oooh, Fool's Mate - I'd forgotten that.

<trots off to seldom-visited LP cabinet>

busk31
720608.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote

@Flash-That is slightly dissapointing to me as I have a couple of Elf friends, they dont live in Iceland or even in this dimension though.
-They must have stopped eating mushrooms in Iceland:-"There are also some toxic mushroom species in Iceland, for example Psilocybin Mushrooms, or Magic Mushrooms, and the more easily recognizable Fly Amanita (Lat. Amanita muscaria), which the Vikings called berserkur and ate for its hallucinogenic effects."-A large dose of either will have you meeting Elves galore.
Quote:"Oh, Everybody sees Elves"-Terence McKenna.

Spud McLaren
721517.  Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote

busk31 wrote:
Most Icelanders do not have a family name ...
Do we have the basis of a question there?

"What is the most common surname [should we say "family name" these days?] in Iceland?" - klaxon for Magnusson, etc. With the Brits & Americans visiting a fair bit, would it be as likely, at any one moment, to be Smith or Jones as any other name?

"What is the most common Icelandic surname?" wouldn't work so well.

eggshaped
721681.  Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote

I'm off to iceland next week if anyone has anything they want checking...

eggshaped
721683.  Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote

re: elves. We were told though that road building in Iceland is stopped due to elves more than any other animal - by the Icleandic Highways Agency.

Ian Dunn
721685.  Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote

I'd like to know how big a figure Magnus Magnusson was in Iceland. How well known was he in his own country?

Jenny
721713.  Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia's article on Magnusson, although he was born in Iceland and retained his Icelandic citizenship, he lived nearly all his life in Scotland, so maybe they wouldn't have much incentive to know much about him.

Ian Dunn
721735.  Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
According to Wikipedia's article on Magnusson, although he was born in Iceland and retained his Icelandic citizenship, he lived nearly all his life in Scotland, so maybe they wouldn't have much incentive to know much about him.

Yes, but I do remember once on an episode of The News Quiz that Francis Wheen once went to Iceland on official business, and the welcoming party consisted of just Magnusson because the Icelandic government thought that the English would not be able to recognise anyone else from Iceland.

Spud McLaren
721930.  Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
djgordy wrote:
Peter Hammill - Viking.
Oooh, Fool's Mate - I'd forgotten that.
The Norse names mentioned in the song "Viking" on Fool's Mate (written with Judge Smith) are characters in the Icelandic Eirķks saga rauša (judging by the spelling of the names, Hammill's source seems to have been Magnus Magnusson's 1965 translation). [Wiki]

Spud McLaren
725568.  Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Wiki wrote:
The last Catholic bishop in Iceland was beheaded in 1550, along with two of his sons.
So much for celibacy...

plinkplonk
726727.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote

Name that Icelandic volcano must be worth a few points...

suze
726776.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote

It might be, but we'd need to get the answer right.

We may, I think, take for granted that we know which particular Icelandic volcano plinkplonk is referring to here. So then, what is its name?

Spud McLaren
726778.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote

Not so long ago, I was looking at Iceland on GoogleEarth. Given where it is on the boundary of tectonic plates, and owing as it does its existence to the resulting volcanic activity, I think the answer might well be Iceland. I think there's a good chance that the whole country is one big supervolcano.

plinkplonk
726783.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote

I didn't want to just copy it but I did Google it.

Eyjafjallokull with an umlah over the o.

Its pronounced, at least according to the BBC AY-uh-fyat-lah-YOE-kuutl-uh.

Fy is as in few, oe- as in doer, uu as in boot (different letters but go with me on this) uh as in uh, a volcano.

I don't know if the whole island could be described as a volcano, a lot of it has geyser activity for a start.

suze
726787.  Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Sorry plinkplonk, I rather set up a heffalump trap there ...

The QI Elf side of my personality was kinda hoping that someone would present that as the answer, because it enables me to sound a great big KLAXON.

Eyjafjallajökull (EH-a-ved-lie-YUG-utl, or thereabouts) is in fact the name of the glacier which overlies the volcano. The Daily Telegraph of 19 April gave the name of the volcano itself as Eyjafyoll; other sources give it as Eyjafjöll.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next