View previous topic | View next topic

Inquisition, Spanish

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Spud McLaren
718601.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Let's not forget that there were Inquisitions in other locations. For instance, the Portugese one on the west coast of India could be a Goa.

Ion Zone
718603.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Well, for Karmen's earlyer book, Spain, 1469-1714: A Society of Conflict, the Times Literary Supplement said:

Quote:
...a highly professional book ...which gives a very useful and up-to-date account of the most interesting period in Spanish history.

According to Vox there were around four Inquisitions at the time, but that doesn't really say anything on its own.

Flash
718608.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
the Portugese one on the west coast of India could be a Goa.

Back in Reagan's day when the US invaded Grenada two comedian friends of mine put this in their double act:
Quote:
I took my girlfriend to that place the Americans invaded for Easter.

Grenada?

No, she trod on a land mine.

Sadurian Mike
718609.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Mike, are you talking about Kamen? I have that book, and was planning to use it as a source - but does your post suggest that it's unreliable, or have I misunderstood?

Not Kamen, no. His work is reliable enough as it appears to be based on primary sources. I was suggesting that Vox Day (aka Theodore Beale) might not be a completely impartial commentator.

Flash
718624.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Oh, OK. Phew.

Jenny
718637.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote

I didn't know the Spanish Inquisition was set up mainly to deal with apostasising Jews.

exnihilo
719059.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:02 am Reply with quote

If you're looking for a top-notch book on the Spanish Inquisition I'd recommend Inquisition by Toby Green, a very thorough account of the activities of the Inquisition in the Old and New Worlds.

Ian Dunn
719079.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote

Several of The Guardian's crossword compilers credited themselves under pseudonyms, most of which are names of inquisitor-generals during the Spanish Inquisition.

Introduced by John Perkin, amongst the compilers credited in the paper were Edward Powys Mather, better known as Torquemada, who worked for The Observer between 1926-39.

He was followed by Derrick Macnutt, who worked until 1972 as Ximenes.

After him was Jonathan Crowther, known as Azed, which is a pun on the alphabet and an anagram of Deza.

Other than inquisitor-generals, other pseudonyms hae been used. John Graham complied crosswords for The Guardian as Araucaria (the monkey-puzzle tree) and Cinephile (an anagram of "Chile Pine", another name for the araucaria).

Source: Schott's Sporting, Gaming, and Idling Miscellany by Ben Schott, p. 37.

Efros
719088.  Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:37 am Reply with quote

Not forgetting the Inquisition's handbook the 'Malleus Maleficarum' literally the hammer of the witches, co-authored by the Inquisitor General of Germany Jacob Sprenger.

plinkplonk
726889.  Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote

Tomas de Torquemada (the Inquisitor rather than the crossword compiler) seems to be an example of self fulfiiling prophecy. His surname derives from the Latin to twist.

Speaking of Wikipedia, the article on Torquemada says that 'it needs to be checked for its neutrality...'

thedrew
727717.  Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Hey, Torquemada, whadaya say?

I just got back from the auto-de-f'e

RLDavies
727762.  Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote

Torquemada (Edward Powys Mather) is revered in cruciverbalist circles as the man who more or less invented cryptic crosswords in the modern sense -- codified the rules, as it were.

Ximenes (Derrick Macnutt) refined the rules and defined a "code of best practice" in The Art of the Crossword. This is still accepted as THE manual.

So much so that in a Crossword Club newsletter, when someone deliberately devised a crossword in which the clues broke Ximenes' "best practice" rule about indirect anagrams*, the crossword was titled "Oil Derrick" -- a reference to Macnutt spinning in his grave.

*Indirect anagram: A clue in which the solver is expected to make an anagram of a word not actually appearing -- in other words, the solver must first think of an implied word and then anagram it. A big no-no. The raw material of an anagram must be available within the clue.

tetsabb
727800.  Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote

So 'Wild affair produces Dave' (7) would be indirect, while 'Crazy romance produces Dave' (7) is direct.

(Answer is whited-out 'Cameron' for non-cruciverbalist fans)

RLDavies
727944.  Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
So 'Wild affair produces Dave' (7) would be indirect, while 'Crazy romance produces Dave' (7) is direct.

Exactly.

tetsabb
728003.  Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote

Does this mean I am not half as dumb as I sometimes think I am?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next