View previous topic | View next topic

Idaho

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
718180.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote

The following are all places in the American state of Idaho.

• Aberdeen
  • Albion
  • Ashton
  • Bliss
  • Burley
  • Cambridge
  • Cascade
  • Council
  • Deary
  • Dover
  • Eagle
  • Eden
  • Ferdinand
  • Filer
  • Franklin
  • Fruitland
  • Grace
  • Hope
  • Horseshoe Bend
  • Jerome
  • Kellogg
  • Mackay
  • Malta
  • Moscow
  • New Plymouth
  • Oxford
  • Paris
  • Paul
  • Peck
  • Preston
  • Reubens
  • Rupert
  • Salmon
  • Spencer
  • Stanley
  • Star
  • Victor
  • Wallace
  • Winchester

Source: The American Census

Neotenic
718365.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote

I was just having a bit of a wander around, and I came across this page of laws in Idaho that relate to animals.

A couple of stand-out ones. According to that page, it is illegal to;

Quote:
Hunt any animal or bird except raccoon by the aid of a spotlight, flashlight or artificial light of any kind

Quote:
Attempt to take, by firearm or any other contrivance capable of killing an animal or bird, simulated wildlife

I think that basically means you're not allowed to hunt rubber duckies.

But this is the most disturbing, for me;

Quote:
No person shall shoot at or kill any bird or animal in Idaho, wild or domestic, including domestic cervidae governed under the provisions of chapter 37, title 25, Idaho Code, with any gun or other device accessed and controlled via an internet connection

Is such a thing possible?

Flash
718426.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote

Wait for the "Horses & Hunting" ep to air, Neo, and you'll find out.

suze
718428.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote

Technically it's not especially difficult to organize. After all, there is certainly military hardware which is controlled remotely by computer.

The idea of online remote hunting was put forward by a Texan named John Lockwood in 2005. Mr Lockwood saw it as a way for disabled people to do hunting, and he started work on a website offering it before Texas banned the practice (under pressure from the National Rifle Association, which thought it sounded like cheating).

The Humane Society believes that if anyone ever actually hunted online, they don't any more. I'm less convinced - it can be done, so it probably is done. But since it's illegal in most places, the small number of people who probably do it don't shout about it.

Neotenic
718437.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Wait for the "Horses & Hunting" ep to air, Neo, and you'll find out.

Splendid.

It's also good to know that I'm keeping to my standard of being one series behind with my research.

Spud McLaren
718912.  Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote

The crop for which Idaho is famous got there by accident, and before the Territory was officially organised:

The first substantial potato fields planted in Idaho belonged to Mormon colonists. Historical accounts indicate that their presence in Idaho was partially an accident.

As the numbers of Mormon colonists in the Salt Lake Valley increased, they pushed outward seeking new lands. The Mormon farmers had been directed to establish a new colony north of the Salt Lake Valley area in the Cache Valley. Believing they were still in Utah, the new families of settlers began immediately to establish their farms. Potatoes were one of the first items the farmers planted.

This is the first recorded planting of potatoes in Idaho in an area where the settlers remained and the crop is still grown to some extent today. The planting was accomplished three years before the Idaho Territory was organized.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/a-idaho-potato.html

Page 1 of 1