QI on Facebook

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

eloisec
1009797.  Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
imaginer wrote:
Why not Qi on MySpace?

Should we be supporting a social networking site that has such a monopoly?

That's a reasonable question. But if there had been a QI presence on MySpace in the "great days" of MySpace, there would have been plenty of people wanting to know why QI was supporting anything owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Now OK, it's not owned by Murdoch any more - bizarrely, it's now owned by Justin Timberlake, who paid Murdoch about 50p to take it off his hands. Does anyone still use it?

That is quite cool, Justin Timberlake was in the film the Social Network and now owns a social network

Janet H
1192647.  Sat May 21, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote

Help please folks - I want to read a page on Facebook but I don't want to open an account, even by using a one-off e-mail address. (Personal reasons). Any clues please?

RLDavies
1192655.  Sat May 21, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote

I don't think it's possible. Facebook pages are intended for Facebook subscribers.

Do you have the URL of that page so you can try looking at it? If you can't see it from outside Facebook, that's your answer.

Not knowing what the page is, it might not even be visible if you do join Facebook. Company/advertising pages are open to all comers, and a lot of groups are displayed in public. But there are also a lot of closed groups, where you have to be a member of the group before you can see their posts. (Not to mention secret groups, where you have to be a member before you can even see that the group exists.)

If it's a person's page, again most people restrict their posts to "friends-only" viewing.

RLDavies
1192656.  Sat May 21, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Assuming that you don't want to sign up to Facebook because you don't want to be traced, the obvious solution is to sign up using a pseudonym.

Officially, Facebook insists that you use your real name, and you have to tick a box confirming that you are indeed who you claim to be. Unofficially, as long as you sign up under something that looks kind of like it might be a name, and it's not obscene, nobody cares.

You do run the risk of being kicked out if someone complains to Facebook that you're not using your real name, but that's rare.

Alfred E Neuman
1192665.  Sat May 21, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
Assuming that you don't want to sign up to Facebook because you don't want to be traced, the obvious solution is to sign up using a pseudonym.

Officially, Facebook insists that you use your real name, and you have to tick a box confirming that you are indeed who you claim to be. Unofficially, as long as you sign up under something that looks kind of like it might be a name, and it's not obscene, nobody cares.

You do run the risk of being kicked out if someone complains to Facebook that you're not using your real name, but that's rare.

A few years ago, I briefly had a Facebook account in the name of Adolf Hitler. Their checks aren't all that good - at the end of the day, they want more accounts , more page hits and more adverts read, they don't really care what you sign up as. It's a business...

Jenny
1192690.  Sat May 21, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote

I know several people who have more than one FB account, or who have used a patently false name. Or you might try asking a friend who has a FB account to allow you to sign in with their email and password. Don't be offended if they refuse though!

RLDavies
1192732.  Sun May 22, 2016 7:40 am Reply with quote

I have two friends who started out on Facebook with their real names, but later managed to change their names. With good reason -- one was being harassed by undesirable relatives, and the other got a job working at a rehab/counselling centre and didn't want any potential for trouble.

I have one friend who signed up as "Otto Partz", and one -- generally known on forums as "444" -- who is on FB as "Twotwotwo Twice".

Facebook does a minimal check when you sign up, mainly for obvious naughty words. I'm also surprised "Adolf Hitler" got through. Once you're in, they don't keep tabs on you unless you make an enemy and they denounce you.

Alfred E Neuman
1192735.  Sun May 22, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
I'm also surprised "Adolf Hitler" got through.

As was I. It was a long time ago though, and I doubt it would go through now.

suze
1192748.  Sun May 22, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote

A lot of teachers in particular use variant forms of their names for Facebook. I know at least a dozen who use first name and middle name instead of first name and surname, so that pupils can't easily find them on Facebook.

It's not really allowed, but I do it slighly differently by having two Facebook accounts. Some of you will be familiar with the Facebook account on which I use my three given names and avoid any mention of my surname. On that one, I'm happy to post things which I wouldn't want pupils or in some cases colleagues to see, and most of my friends on it are people I only know online.

The other one uses my first name and my surname, and quite a lot of my friends on it are teachers. I don't enfriend pupils who are still at my school, although once they've left I accept if they ask to enfriend me. I take care not to swear on that one, and all of the content is fairly anodyne.

Only one person is friends with both of me, and I am not friends with myself.

Janet H
1192750.  Sun May 22, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote

Thank you people, that's all very useful.

What about hiding one's IP address/location, or am I getting too paranoid?

Jenny
1192777.  Sun May 22, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote

I don't believe anybody can locate your IP address and location from FB unless you post it. We can tell your IP address from this forum, of course.

dr.bob
1192797.  Mon May 23, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote

If you're really paranoid about hiding your identity, use the TOR browser to access the website.

I'm fairly sure that you can sign up for a Hotmail or GMail email address pretty easily by putting lots of fake info in, so you can create an account that shouldn't be traceable back to you.

Dishit19
1335252.  Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote

Yeah, you can use Tor and DuckDuckGo like browser, so that no one can track your activity!

bobwilson
1346217.  Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
..... I don't enfriend pupils who are still at my school, ......

that's a new one - or is it? Makes sense though

suze
1346231.  Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:18 am Reply with quote

It does appear to be one of the two words I have invented, yes. I can cite myself back as far as 2012, and a couple of times I have explained the difference that I perceive between enfriend and befriend.

There are also a few citations on the Internet for a noun enfriend, meaning a romantic partner whose gender is not disclosed. There's no reason why there shouldn't be a word for that meaning, but enfriend doesn't sound quite right to me for that word.

I also nvented the verb to disaver, meaning to disagree. When I first used that I didn't think I was making a word up, but it looks as if I was.

Even so, when I am dead and am returned to dust I do not expect my legacy to be the invention of two words. Rather, it will be my discovery of the world's first ever single digit Erdos-Bacon-Sabbath number, a thing which has already caused at least two "Gosh, isn't it a small world?" moments.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next