QI on Facebook

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

eggshaped
713138.  Thu May 27, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote

We now have an official presence on "The 'Book"

You can find us here:

http://www.facebook.com/officialQI

If there's anything you'd like to see on there then let us know. Guess we'll take a couple of pics in the next few recordings...

k.anderson3454
778707.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote

Thank GOD.:)

alwoodcock
791291.  Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote

I want to ask a question but I don't quite know where to post it!

Al

Jenny
791824.  Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote

Hi alwoodcock

If your question is related to the current series, you could put it in the Green Room forum. If it's related to any of the earlier series, you could put it in the forum of that name. If it's on an interesting topic, try Quite Interestrings. If it's just lighthearted, try General Banter. If it's a discussion topic or political, try What Fresh Hell Is This. If you can't decide, put it almost anywhere and I'll probably move it to the right place! Welcome to the forums :-)

imaginer
880648.  Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Reposted in seperate thread ;)

Last edited by imaginer on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total

imaginer
880649.  Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote

Removed as now irrelevant ;)

Last edited by imaginer on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total

imaginer
880650.  Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote

This post is about Facebook.

I use a few different social media... I find that people tend to stick to the social media site they know & there's not too much crossover, even now that the social networking sites try to share everything accross different sites.

I used imeem before the recession & was sad to see it go due to the recession, it was a loveley cleanly programmed social networking site.

Facebook is acceptable, though I could not say "I like it", it does a job... but it's pretty downheartening that once recession bit choice became narrowed.

You asked if there's anything we'd like to see on Facebook, & my answer isn't what you want, my answer is that I'd like to see people/companies/groups like Qi with thier own social networking software, rather than having to use Facebook.... & why Qi on Facebook & not Qi on MySapce?

I might know the answer to that last question, but the question that that last question raises is whether Facebook should be allowed such a monopoly in the world of social networking? Should we be supporting a social networking site that has such a monopoly?

I use Facebook, but I use other sites as well & there's things that I wouldn't put on Facebook, but might put elsewhere.

suze
880654.  Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote

imaginer wrote:
Why not Qi on MySpace?

Should we be supporting a social networking site that has such a monopoly?

That's a reasonable question. But if there had been a QI presence on MySpace in the "great days" of MySpace, there would have been plenty of people wanting to know why QI was supporting anything owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Now OK, it's not owned by Murdoch any more - bizarrely, it's now owned by Justin Timberlake, who paid Murdoch about 50p to take it off his hands. Does anyone still use it?

imaginer
880659.  Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Nice point & I like what you say.

I have an account there.... could I say I use it? Well.... sometimes musicians/bands send me a message & ask me to listen to them & "Tendawema" is a lovely superb singer who I would not know about without Myspace. I find it useful just every once in a while.

CB27
880677.  Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, I think I'd prefer supporting Murdoch than Timberlake :)

imaginer
880688.  Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Ooh, I think I'd prefer supporting Murdoch than Timberlake :)

Lol...

I'm no Timberlake fan... but from what I know I think he means well, I get a sense of him being big headed, rather than malicious & I would give him a chance & he might encourage artists.

Neotenic
880734.  Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote

Quote:
You asked if there's anything we'd like to see on Facebook, & my answer isn't what you want, my answer is that I'd like to see people/companies/groups like Qi with thier own social networking software, rather than having to use Facebook.... & why Qi on Facebook & not Qi on MySapce?

I might know the answer to that last question, but the question that that last question raises is whether Facebook should be allowed such a monopoly in the world of social networking? Should we be supporting a social networking site that has such a monopoly?

Have you really thought this through?

The whole point of social networking, after all, is to be able to get into some form of contact with a large number of people all at once, something which simply can't happen if each company has it's own site.

Or, one could say that we are both posting on QI's own social network right now. Which is lovely for preaching to the converted, but it isn't going to break into any new markets on it's own, is it?

imaginer
882170.  Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Quite right, we are communicating through Qi's own social networking... so if we have forums, which are good for some things...

But we know that Forums are quite famous for flame wars, and part of the reason for this is because it's difficult to impart emotion through a forum, but with Facebook we can "Like" a comment that somebody has posted.

I use Facebook & a few other sites.

I do not find much crossover between users of different sites.

Facebook itself is now narrowing it's users... bizzarely by being so popular, because I am scared to write something on Facebook because my employer or my little sister might read it & think it innapropriate.

Social netwroking is still evolving.

What we know from the computer world is that we shouldn't let anybody have too much influence.

We had several computers in the 80's to choose from... then in the 90's suddenly we can only have Pc's or Macs??? Why??? & what good did it do us? we were shafted. programs were sloppily written, computer virus creators never had it so good as everybody used buggy Microsoft Windows.

Computers died a death in the 90's.

Then we look at ebay, which was a lovely site and I used it happily... but now, I just don't dare to buy from there, it is a victim of its own success, high rates & "Buyer beware" it's used by pirates, dodgy bussiness persons & commercial companies, who blast the users computer with background advertising/data collecting.

We have Google, just a nice little search engine, but now given more control we find that I type in "Quadra 840av" my favourite computer & all I get is pages of did you mean "quadra wall tile" "quadra trainers"... which is almost something you don't mind except when you click the link you are taken to the companies web site & cannot find the thing that you clicked on the link for!!!

How many customers have come into the shop where I work and asked for "Hob trivet"... We don't sell the item... but they claim, I typed it into google & your company came up...

Because google allow companies to pay them to get them to the top of the search list.

& similarly Facebook has had it's own woes with virus's & spam..

& whilst I'm not deathly anti Facebook without a doubt there is no need for us to allow just one social networking site to have a monopoly & I most definitley encourage companies to start there own facebook-alike web sites, which could allow sharing between two or three favourite social networking sites, which is a way it is for some, like say on "Soundcloud" I like a song & can share it via Myspace or Facebook, or a few other social networking sites... "Soundcloud" doesn't restrict me to Facebook only.

It's a big world out there in internet land.

Awitt
921001.  Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote

Quote:
something you don't mind except when you click the link you are taken to the companies web site & cannot find the thing that you clicked on the link for!!!

So true, so true! I find it more time consuming and annoying.

Heldoorn
924101.  Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
Quote:
something you don't mind except when you click the link you are taken to the companies web site & cannot find the thing that you clicked on the link for!!!

So true, so true! I find it more time consuming and annoying.

That's OOQ (object oriented queries, suppliers), or requires some rating system (users), so "free windows file undelete download" doesn't result in a free download of an expensive utility anymore.

But I've got quite a few private websites that are more popular than the official websites, and know that professional businesses will win the search war. All of my websites used to be number one at Google, but recently the best unmanaged ranking is number three, and unrelated websites are easier to find. "Like": less email from people assuming I'm responsible for the subject of the website ("Dear [url]qi.fr[/url], I loved the show but can you please add French subtitles? Pierre&Sabine.").

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next