View previous topic | View next topic

Denmark

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jenny
1028538.  Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Hmm - not so sure about that! Danish Blue is one of the few blue cheeses I don't like! On the whole, the Danes can keep it.

Zebra57
1054728.  Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote

Copenhagen Zoo has killed a baby giraffe because it is genetically worthless. It has displayed the dead animal to the public and then cut it up to feed to the lions.

The zoo turned down an offer from Britain to take the animal.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/09/why-copenhagen-zoo-killed-marius-giraffe

Alfred E Neuman
1054746.  Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Copenhagen Zoo has killed a baby giraffe because it is genetically worthless. It has displayed the dead animal to the public and then cut it up to feed to the lions.

Not really.

For a start, it's not a baby, it's 18 months old and nearing sexual maturity.
Secondly, as it reaches sexual maturity it needs to be separated from the herd. This happens in nature.
The Copenhagen zoo doesn't have the facilities for an adult male.
The article also states that there were no suitable openings in other zoos.

knightmare
1054749.  Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Not really.

The article wrote:
A final option is sending the giraffe to a zoo that doesn't participate in the EAZA-led breeding programme

EAZA protecting EAZA, because a lot of people would pay a visit to a British or Dutch non-EAZA zoo to see the animal. The economy of pandas. Knut 2.0.

Zebra57
1054752.  Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote

Copenhagen Zoo has a track record of disposing of surplus animals. The young giraffe is treated as a commodity and its theatrical disposal a "box office" attraction.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/09/marius-giraffe-killed-copenhagen-zoo-protests

Alfred E Neuman
1054765.  Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote

knightmare wrote:
Quote:

Not really.

No, really.

Quote:
In this case, there were no acceptable openings.

At least if you accept that "suitable" and "acceptable" mean broadly the same thing in this context. I'm not commenting on the accuracy of the article, just highlighting what the article that Zebra linked to actually said.

gruff5
1054771.  Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote

Probably had a better life than most factory farm animals.

Awitt
1054773.  Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote

Reports in Australia said that young giraffe was inbred and it was destroyed for genetic reasons.

CB27
1054852.  Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote

This is to do with public perception.

In Denmark they're not as publicly squeemish about animal death as the UK is. Strictly as an outsider observation, it doesn't mean either view is wrong, The Danes follow their cultural view, the Brits theirs.

I don't know enough about giraffe habits, so my initial thought was that this giraffe could have easily been neutered to avoid inbreeding, but it might be that this is either difficult, or could affect behaviour. As a Brit, I don't have too much of a problem with the animal being killed if it was necessary, it's more the commercial display of it's killing that I find unappetising as I thought civilised society had gone beyond the blood lust of such displays.

CB27
1055325.  Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote

As the centennary of the outbreak of WWI is upon us, it's worth remember a sad fact that, while Denmark itself remained neutral during the war, many Danes fought and died - on both sides of the conflict.

The Treaty of Versailles would later create a referendum to allow large tracts of lands and thousands of people to come under Denmark, but at the outbreak of WWI thousands of Danes lived in territories captured by Prussia, and claimed by Germany. This led to many Danes fleeing to other countries and eventually volunteering for various armies, including Britain.

However, of those who stayed behind in the occupied territories, many faced conscription into the German army, so that some 90% of all Danes in the German army were conscripted, not volunteers.

This might well have resulted in Danes fighting one another on some fronts, perhaps even killing each other.

Zebra57
1055362.  Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote

The Danish Military Cemetery near Braine, Aisne, France has the graves of Danish conscripts in the German Army killed in action during WW1.

Chabert
1091274.  Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote

About Danish "warfare" or actually team sport. The only battle in modern history the Danes are proud of, were not supposed to have happened at all.

Even though the national soccer team did not qualify at first, they won European champions in soccer 1992. Yugoslavia won the qualifying group, but where excluded by UEFA, since a civil war was destroying the country from within.
Many of the Danish players, had already begun their vacations and had to be called home from various places, were out of form and no one expected anything from the team, not even themselves.
Michael Laudrup the biggest star (ever) of Danish soccer had a personal disagreement with the coach and had at the time excluded himself from playing for the team.
The player wives and girlfriends were allowed to follow and stay with their husbands/boyfriends, which was not common at the time, but it was given quite a lot of credit from the players and medias, who believed it gave them a needed morale boost (and sex).

Dix
1250480.  Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote

Today, the 24th of september, is statistically the day of the year where most new little Danes are born.

Not surprising. Count back, and you'll find it's exactly a pregnancy after New Years Eve/Day.
Dark evenings, parties, ...

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/foedselssaeson-i-dag-bliver-der-foedt-flest-boern

Dix
1305184.  Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote

It's advent calendar time.
Royal advent calendar time.

Featuring in this video and available on instagram: Her Royal Highness Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. There will be 24 stories about forgotten historic royals and the traces they have left behind, told by the elf family looking for the bowl of food that Her Maj is hiding in the castle attic (as seen in the video).

(Setting out food in the attic, outhouse or stable at Christmas was traditional way of placating the elfs ("nisser") so that they did not make mischief during the year)

Dix
1311690.  Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote

WE ARE HANDBALL WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I'm enjoying the live TV coverage from the official reception in Copenhagen Town Hall. It's a very interesting building with a lot of lovely decorative details and I haven't been in there for ages.

Speeches are mercifully short.

As per tradition, pancakes will be served later.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next