875807.  Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote

Yes. And it's "wienerbrød".

:-)

Phlyphf
876174.  Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote

Woops :P

nmkloster
889611.  Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote

I sort of skimmed through the posts about marmite and the supposed ban. I have seen marmite on the specialty shelf of my lokal SuperBest shop on Enghavevej/ Matheusgade in Copenhagen. They also have Cadburys spread and I bought my very first cream soda recently. Very tasty!

Dix
890628.  Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm... it will be interesting to see if they have gone the official paperwork route. If not. I predict a new media storm in the new future.

nmkloster
891351.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote

Well, in the Euro episode it was also shown how the media can make a big fuzz about EU regulations which are not true, so I'm not 100% on this supposed ban.

Moosh
891516.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote

nmkloster wrote:
Well, in the Euro episode it was also shown how the media can make a big fuzz about EU regulations which are not true, so I'm not 100% on this supposed ban.

When I read that I thought "ah, but that was the British media, foreign news isn't as rubbish at reporting accurately and without prejudice". And then I realised that I had absolutely no evidence for this and I was just assuming that journalists in other countries are better than ours (well they could hardly be worse). But does anyone know if there is any difference in the general standard of reporting in, say, Denmark compared to the UK?

Dix
891741.  Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote

In my personal view, if you compare The Sun and the Danish tabloids (BT, Ekstrabladet) the Danish ones come out as sober, intellectual, well-mannered quality newspapers.

One very important difference is that in Denmark there is a set of ethical rules and they are enforced.

http://www.pressenaevnet.dk/Information-in-English/The-Press-Ethical-Rules.aspx
There are also some differences in photo copyright legislation.

If you look at the opposite end of the range, The Times and Guardian (these are the the ones I feel most confident in judging) are somewhat better than their Danish equivalents. Better, but still comparable.

Theodk
893477.  Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It would be interesting to know what the transfer fee was.

When Denmark sold the Dansk Vestindien (now known as the US Virgin Islands) to the USA in 1917, the US paid $25 million for them. This price was higher than it need have been - Denmark wasn't that bothered about them and had offered them to the US for $7.5 million fifty years earlier, but Senate decided against.

I've held the copy of the cheque with the sum paid for the Danish West Indies (now US Virgin Isles), that is stored at the Danish National Library, in my hands. I find it interesting that a quite ordinary cheque was used for the transfer of the money, and wonder what the local grocer would do, if you turned up with it at his store :D

Oskar from Denmark
1022063.  Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote

The first electrical car was invented by a dane

Oskar from Denmark
1022067.  Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Famous Danes are The guy who played Aragon(Viggo Mortensen), Tony Hawk, Michael Laudrup, Søren or Soeren Kirkegaard, H.C. Andersen, Terkel in trouble and Bjarke Ingels

Bondee
1022251.  Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote

Oskar from Denmark wrote:
Famous Danes...

You forgot Lars Ulrich*.

Oskar from Denmark wrote:
...Tony Hawk...

Are you sure about that?

*as, I'm sure, a lot of us wish we could.

Jenny
1022256.  Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote

Welcome Oskar :-)

According to Wikipedia, Tony Hawk is American, unless we're talking about a different Tony Hawk.

suze
1022257.  Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote

What about Whigfield, of Saturday Night immortality?

Or the even more seminal Aqua, who took Barbie Girl to #1 in sixteen countries? (The singer was Norwegian, but the other three in the group were Danish.)

Amjad Khan may not be the world's most obvious Danish name, and you won't be amazed to learn that his parents were born in Pakistan. But all the same, Amjad Khan - born in Copenhagen, used to live in Chatham, and he and husband are on nodding terms - played cricket for England.

Without Rasmus Lerdorf, there would be no QI forums. He's the guy who invented the programming language PHP, in which the forum software is written. Mind you, the question of whether he's a Dane is a little political; he lives in New York and travels on a Canadian passport, but he was born a Danish citizen. In Greenland, though, which is where it gets political.

Zebra57
1022397.  Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote

The most confusing thing in Copenhagen? Working out the route of the 11A bus.

swot
1022481.  Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote

Is it more confusing than the counting system or the more-confusing-than-Irish vowels I've been hearing about recently?

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next