View previous topic | View next topic

Denmark

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

busk31
737090.  Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote

About the coronations; From 1170-1648 the king was crowned, from 1648-1848 They were already wearing a crown and was only blessed.From 1848 the priminister has with the words: "Kongen er død, kongen længe leve"-Informed the people of the new king.
..It is likely that Knud den store(1018-1035)Had a crown as he was the king of England. Magnus and Svend Grathe were given crowns by the german emperor, but its not untill 1170 that we know of the first coronation of a danish king.

Last edited by busk31 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

busk31
737094.  Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Nice elephants, Mike ..I like the beer better :) . My great grandfather Marinus Sørensen was an MP when the germans invaded the country.
-Something for you: The luftwaffe general Leonard Kaupisch with 38.000 men, inc I. Fallschirmsjägerregiment led the first airborne operation in history when he secured the airport in Ålborg..No elephants were used to my knowledge..
@Jenny,there is a Middelfartgade in København. Speedlimit 60 kph..

dr bartolo
737336.  Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote

just curious, are there any danes out there who know the rules/play the game called gnav? I heard it is played in denmark, but it is nearly extinct-(but, I noticed that in nearby norway, amost every bookshop sells cards to play the game)

Sadurian Mike
737551.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote

busk31 wrote:
Nice elephants, Mike ..I like the beer better :) . My great grandfather Marinus Sørensen was an MP when the germans invaded the country.
-Something for you: The luftwaffe general Leonard Kaupisch with 38.000 men, inc I. Fallschirmsjägerregiment led the first airborne operation in history when he secured the airport in Ålborg..

Quite so, that's another one that catches people out, the most famous "first use of airborne troops" being the assault on the Belgian fortress of Eben-Emael in May 1940. This despite their use in the invasions of both Denmark and Norway!

busk31 wrote:
No elephants were used to my knowledge..

They were in disguise and landed in the cherry trees.

dr bartolo
737763.  Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote

@mkie-hee hee...

Zebra57
819287.  Wed May 25, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Are the Danish really Marmite hating or is there more to this story?

CB27
819472.  Thu May 26, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote

Yes, there was a law passed for food safety a few years back, of which Marmite and other products fall foul of.

Call me cynical, but if sales of Marmite are low in Denmark and I was a PR agent for the company, I'd have sent their Government a sly reminder myself to get great headlines and free advertising.

Dix
822168.  Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote

Most Danes don't care. In fact, I'm fairly certain most Danes does not know what Marmite is.

... until now....

There are some strict rules on vitamin-"augmented" foodstuffs - limits for how much vitamin they can add, etc.
You have to get such products approved. I'd guess nobody bothered to get it done it because the only people buying it will be expat Brits.

Get the paperwork done and you can (probably) sell it.
If there's too much added vitamin B, they may be able to get it approved as a "vitamin supplement" rather than as food.

Edit: The Danish media reports on the outrage in the UK over this. All feels the need to explain what Marmite is.

suze
822239.  Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
Get the paperwork done and you can (probably) sell it.

Or maybe not - Kellogg's got a curt "nej" when it applied for permission to market breakfast cereals which it sells in every other EU member state.

The repercussions appear to have begun, in any case. The biggest selling beer in Britain is Carlsberg lager, and a number of pubs have informed Carlsberg that they will not stock the product while Marmite remains banned in Denmark.

Bondee
822273.  Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
There are some strict rules on vitamin-"augmented" foodstuffs - limits for how much vitamin they can add, etc.

I wonder if they'd get away with selling Marmite flavoured chocolate in Denmark?
; )

CB27
822357.  Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote

If that story about Carlsberg is true then it's really sad, though I find hard to believe it's really true because there could be some legal problems there over contracts (for the pub chains at least)

Britain bans a lof of products from other countries on the grounds of health, why can we not accept that another country will do the same with products that fail their rules?

bobwilson
822361.  Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote

Actually – it’s all bullshit (no surprise there then)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13536479

Quote:
British savoury spread Marmite could be illegal in Denmark

Denmark has previously banned several popular items, including the drink Ovaltine and some breakfast cereals.

A shop in Copenhagen was recently asked to remove its supplies of Marmite following a phone call from Danish authorities, the (unidentified and mysteriously unnamed) owner says.

I suppose the BBC’s take is to use “anonymous sources”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/24/denmark-bans-marmite

Quote:
Marmite, the yeast extract spread has been banned in Denmark....

Recent comments from the Danish immigration minister, Søren Pind, that foreigners should "assimilate" or leave, coupled with the country's recent unilateral decision to reinstate border checks, have left some residents questioning the motivation behind the crackdown.

The Guardian’s take is that the “Marmite ban” is part of a nationalist revival

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1390419/Marmite-banned-Denmark-contains-vitamins.html

Quote:
it seems that people in Denmark definitely hate Marmite as the country has banned it from its shelves.

they will have to subscribe to a black-market trade in the sticky brown stuff, smuggled in from nearby Sweden or Germany where it is still legal.

the Daily Mail picks up on plucky foreigners resorting to (justifiable) illegal methods to get their drugs (sorry – fix)

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2011/05/25/ex-danish-police-chief-warns-marmite-ban-plays-into-the-hands-of-criminal-gangs/

worth a mention - if only because they at least spotted the stupidity early

And the finest legal minds are on the case

http://www.jonworth.eu/danish-marmite-ban-not-pia-kjaersgaards-next-populist-plan-to-keep-foreigners-away/#more-4376

Just one small problem with all of this. Marmite is not now, and never was, banned in Denmark. Nor was Ovaltine.

Fortunately for Guardian journalists (well, others too, but honestly they should know better) “egg on face” has not been accepted as a reason for deportation to Guantanamo Bay. (Personally, I’d prefer an interrogation that began with “are you now, or have you ever been, an idiot (sorry “journalist”).

And finally, kids TV cuts through the crap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_9490000/newsid_9496300/9496375.stm

But shhhhh – don’t tell the adults (they’ll only cry when they realise what a bunch of gullible eejits they are)

Quote:
The Danish media reports on the outrage in the UK over this. All feels the need to explain what Marmite is.

They’d probably feel the need to explain that UK meeja exclusively employ morons who haven’t figured out the difference between journalism and churnalism yet.

Quote:
a number of pubs have informed Carlsberg that they will not stock the product while Marmite remains banned in Denmark.

Really suze? Which pubs are those then? Do tell? Or is that something you picked up from “reliable sources” (ie the BBC, the Guardian and the Mail as noted above)? I find it very hard to believe that pubs selling Carlsberg are a) in a position to legally stop selling Carlsberg and b) even if they don’t have a binding contract would even consider changing their pumpheads to remove the logos (which they’d have to do if the beer dispensed wasn’t Carlberg).

Quote:
Kellogg's got a curt "nej" when it applied for permission to market breakfast cereals which it sells in every other EU member state.

That suggests to me that the Danes (having looked into the matter) found something unsavoury about the composition of Kellogg’s products. That isn’t a failing of the Danes – it suggests a failing of the other regulatory bodies who just nodded through the products. (If Kellogg's object to the implication perhaps they should take some steps toward distancing themselves from xenophopic fabricated stories).

CB27
822447.  Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote

Oh FFS bob, you do go over the top with your rants sometimes, and you're worse than the journalists you're ranting against.

The unedited quote from the original BBC article (which you link) said:

Quote:
Marmite could be illegal in Denmark if it fails to meet safety requirements, officials say.

By law, the Danish authorities must give their approval for food fortified by vitamins or minerals before sale.

Products with such additives need to be assessed for any potential dangers, the Danish Food and Veterinary Administration says.

When you quoted, you deliberately left out the whole bit about safety requirements, approval by authoritives, and the relevant office involved.

Further on in the article:

Quote:
A spokesman for the Danish Food and Veterinary Administration said: "We have no record of an application for the sale of the product, so we have neither forbidden or accepted it."

The procedural checks needed before a final decision is reached could take up to six months.

There's nothing different about the later article that "clears it all up".

samivel
822467.  Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote

Ah, but you're reading the whole thing and not twisting it to suit your hatred of journalists.

Zebra57
822492.  Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote

This reminds me of the sketch in Yes Minister about the English Sausage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYP1ibYdZI

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next