View previous topic | View next topic

The plural of "Orkney"

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

EdinburghGuy
720617.  Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
I was listening to Mark Steel's in Town earlier today, where he was performing in Kirkwall, the capital of Orkney.

One of the interesting pieces of information mentioned in the show was what the plural of "Orkney" is. The answer is "Orkney".

The word "Orkney" is the plural, and the correct way to refer to all the islands is the "Orkney Islands" - and never ever "The Orkneys", which really annoys the locals.

The locals refer to the largest of the Orkney Islands (the one where Kirkwall is) as "The Mainland".

Goodness me. He might be right. i must get over there more often and try not to offend the locals on the Orkney Islands. Mind you In small communities offence can so easily be taken. Just look at the locals of Lesbia. Now honestly, how on earth are we supposed to avoid that one?

Jenny
720737.  Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote

Now that was an interesting link - thanks Edinburgh Guy.

scubascooby
733288.  Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
The locals refer to the largest of the Orkney Islands (the one where Kirkwall is) as "The Mainland".

Possibly because that's its' name (at least on my maps)?

On one of many visits to Orkney I was told that the Orkney Mainland actually has a real name, Mainland being a recent lazy name. However, for the life of me I can't remember what name it is.

The OS doesn't help because they don't seem to bother to check place names properly with their errors then being cast into print.

suze
733292.  Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote

scubascooby wrote:
On one of many visits to Orkney I was told that the Orkney Mainland actually has a real name, Mainland being a recent lazy name.

Some sources refer to it as "Pomona", but it arose as an error and has rarely been used by locals. There's an explanation of the matter here.

maiden
756868.  Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
scubascooby wrote:
On one of many visits to Orkney I was told that the Orkney Mainland actually has a real name, Mainland being a recent lazy name.

Some sources refer to it as "Pomona", but it arose as an error and has rarely been used by locals. There's an explanation of the matter here.

You used to be able to get 'Pomona' crisps in Orkney (It was the name of the company who made them ... Like 'Walkers' or 'Golden Wonder' ... you just got the standard flavours; Ready salted, salt & vinegar, cheese & onion, etc)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2