View previous topic | View next topic

Episode 7

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

pocoyo
30871.  Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote

Back to the first topic set.
This episode was indeed rather riveting. Stephen's suit was very nice indeed and so to was the shirt warn by Alan. The topics were fun too, Cheese, Constellations, Climbing a ladder to Outer Space. All interesting! And i agree also that it was ashame that we did not get to hear much of Alan's Mexican accent. Hopefully we will be able to in the next episodes.

laidbacklazyman
30876.  Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Firstly my thoughts on downloading, I need to be very careful about download sources, I have quite a lot of important information backed up on my PC and it seems that the big companies are now after the illegitamate use of the BitTorrent networks. That said so long as you aren't making a profit out of it and there is no other way to get the files then go right ahead.

With regards to show 7, Wasn't sure about what Stephen Frys suit was actually doing, he looked a bit like a beatle. Everything else was just right

djgordy
30940.  Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote

pocoyo wrote:
. The topics were fun too, Cheese, Constellations, Climbing a ladder to Outer Space..

Ah yes, I'd almost forgotten. Climbing a ladder to Outer Space. In the programme the idea of climbing a ladder to Outer Space was treated as a seemingly plausible yet still ridiculous idea. If I had been in one of the chairs I would have been awarded zillions of points by describing the Space Elevator.

http://www.spaceelevator.com/

A cable is tethered to the earth with the free end out in space and kept under tension by centripetal force. Then payloads can be run up the cable into space without the expense of all those costly rockets. It is essentially clinming a ladder into space. The concept has been around in sci-fi for years.

lostexpectation
30949.  Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote

great episode, would love to learn more about sponges, and the seperation of them and coming back together, there must be a video(speeded up?) out there of this experiment.

Got links anyone?

I always thought a loofah was a sponge too, now you say its the husk of fruit!!!

What type of drugs do you think were they on when came up with the constellations?

Extrapolated star groupings into goats and crabs etc :)

Caradoc
31302.  Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote

The music industry has been predicting its demise for most of my lifetime, starting with reel to reel tape recorders via cassettes, 8 track stereo, video & now file sharing.

My position has been that if I quite like a record (film/program) I might well get an illegal copy, but if I had to pay for it I'd do without, if I really like it I buy it.

dr.bob
31405.  Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote

It's hard to feel very sorry about the alleged demise of the music industry (which, as Carl points out, has been happening for a very long time now) when you see the vast sums of money earned by even frankly second-rate music acts these days.

One wonders what the music industry would be like if musicians required a day job to help pay the bills, rather than spending their days trying to determine the lethal dose of a variety of narcotics.

I realise not all music acts are fabulously wealthy and are being ripped off. How about we all agree to only use illegal copies of music from established acts who already have more money than sense? :)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2