View previous topic | View next topic

Frostrup

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
356839.  Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote

Frostrup is the the most northerly nudist colony in the world. This was mentioned by Mariella Frostrup, who recently interviewed John Lloyd on Sky Arts programme The Book Show.

Mariella Frostrup last month accussed Have I Got News for You of sexism, claiming that women only had a token place in the show and that she had only been invited to go on the show twice. Germaine Greer attacked her comments saying;

Quote:
"Mariella might ask herself why they asked her on in the first place. She's not known for being amazingly witty, is she? I thought she was best known for her sexy voice."

Story from the British Sitcom Guide

Davini994
357212.  Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ian, it's always interesting to hear John speak, I wish he'd do things like this in front of camera more often. [/hint]

Ian Dunn
357305.  Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
Thanks for that Ian, it's always interesting to hear John speak, I wish he'd do things like this in front of camera more often. [/hint]

Well, you can always hear him in front of a microphone on The Museum of Curiosity.

Davini994
357358.  Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote

Indeed, but I want more!

;)

CB27
357387.  Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote

I prefer to hear Frostrup talking, hurrrrrrrr....

MinervaMoon
371270.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote

Uh oh. Ganked from the QI front page:

Quote:
Mariella Frostrup talks to John Lloyd about the history and philosophy of QI and inadvertently let’s slip that her surname is shared by the world’s most northerly nudist colony...

Spot the error!

MinervaMoon
371272.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote

And speaking of, since I can't be bothered to find the Rolling News thread, this was up a few days ago:

Quote:
A computer error caused a traffic jam when a gas station in Cincinnati started selling petrol at 1.40 instead of 4.10.

The error meant that cars from all over the area were trying to get the cheap gas. The error was displayed for three hours, until the sheriff's deputies insisted that the station should be shut down.

The store clerk said one of the main problems was that he did not know how to fix the problem himself and that he could not contact the manager.

The numbers in bold are my addition; they weren't in the original.

dr.bob
371289.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:57 am Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
Quote:
Mariella Frostrup talks to John Lloyd about the history and philosophy of QI and inadvertently let’s slip that her surname is shared by the world’s most northerly nudist colony...

Spot the error!

Blame Menocchio. Fixed now. I'm off to hand back my grammar nazi membership card.

MinervaMoon
371298.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:04 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
MinervaMoon wrote:
Quote:

Spot the error!

Blame Menocchio. Fixed now. I'm off to hand back my grammar nazi membership card.

Menocchio's fault, was it? I expected better of both of you! This shame cupcake is yours.

dr.bob
371310.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote

Mmmmmm, cake!

suze
371319.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote

More concerning to me was the use of the term "nudist colony"; those who like to play clothes-free volleyball much prefer "naturist resort".

Anyways, a few points if anyone can identify where the said resort is - a bit of Googling didn't immediately find it. Though I'll understand if people who are at work don't feel inclined to search on "+Frostrup +nudist" ...

Arcane
371328.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote

I didn't find a nudist resort in Frostrup, but I did find a nudist beach in Houstrup.

Amongst the list of nudist/naturist resorts in Denmark from a website (naturistnet.org):

.."Lillebælt close to Middelfart on Funen Island."

Nuff said, really.

Tas
371361.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote

LOL

:-)

Tas

Ian Dunn
371439.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
And speaking of, since I can't be bothered to find the Rolling News thread, this was up a few days ago:

Quote:
A computer error caused a traffic jam when a gas station in Cincinnati started selling petrol at 1.40 instead of 4.10.

The error meant that cars from all over the area were trying to get the cheap gas. The error was displayed for three hours, until the sheriff's deputies insisted that the station should be shut down.

The store clerk said one of the main problems was that he did not know how to fix the problem himself and that he could not contact the manager.

The numbers in bold are my addition; they weren't in the original.

Thanks for putting those in. I swear I put those in previously and got deleted for some reason. Now it's happened again. I think there is a problem in the QI website.

suze
371496.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
I didn't find a nudist resort in Frostrup, but I did find a nudist beach in Houstrup..

Good work reddy!

I can only find one place on the maps called Frostrup; it's a small town in mainland Denmark about 35 miles west of Ålborg. It's not on the coast, so if it does have a naturist resort it isn't a beach one.

It seems that, while there are some official naturist resorts in Denmark, in practice naturism is allowed on all beaches except the few which have signage specifically forbidding it. And since there's plenty of Danish coast north of Frostrup, there are plenty of more northerly places where clothes-free recreation would be permitted. The same is true in Norway, so it's possible to take to the beach clothes-free a long, long, way north of Frostrup.

The northernmost official naturist venue which I can find is the Djupvika beach in Trondheim, Norway. That's at about 63.4°N, compared to Frostrup's 57.1°N. Its webpage (no nudity) makes the rather wonderful statement "Sun all day (when not overcast)". There is a commonly used although not officially sanctioned one very much further north still at Sand (67.2°N). Its webpage warns one "do not expect too much from the temperatures in the water"!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next