View previous topic | View next topic

Hitchcock

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Neal Shepperson
743103.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote

I am told by a film buff that he made a cameo apperance in 'the Rope' an old movie where the whole film was set in an apartment room and in one shot (well, 4 shots made to look like one).

I have no doubt he is in it but can anyone tell me where? It's the cinematic equivalent of 'Where's Wally' but without the bobble hat.

samivel
743223.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote

According to IMDb, his profile appears on a neon sign through the apartment window about 55 minutes in. I have to admit I haven't seen the film for several years so I can't confirm it, but it's usually a pretty accurate site.

Bondee
743225.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Google is your proverbial friend!

From the first result...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_(film)

Quote:
Director's cameo

Hitchcock's cameo appearance as a red neon sign, in the far distance, with his famous profile above the word "Reduco", a fictitious weight-loss productAlfred Hitchcock's cameo is a signature occurrence in most of his films. In this film, Hitchcock is considered by some to make two appearances, according to Arthur Laurents in the documentary Rope Unleashed, available on the DVD. Laurents says that Hitchcock is a man walking down a Manhattan street in the opening scene, immediately after the title sequence.

Later on in the film, Hitchcock’s caricature is on a red neon sign visible from the apartment window (at about 00:55 into the film as Janet and Kenneth leave the living room for the last time). Below his caricature is the word "Reduco", recalling Hitch’s cameo in a newspaper ad for "Reduco" in Lifeboat, made four years before.

Zebra57
743239.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote

ROPE

I think it takes place in Chicago at least that is where the inspiration for the original stage play came from.

Rope was based on a play by Patrick Hamilton. It was inspired by the murder of a teenager called Bobby Franks in 1924.

I also believe that the original cameo of the sign was supplemented by the earlier cameo in the film as Hitchcock himself thought the sign too difficult to spot.

Neal Shepperson
754558.  Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote

Cheers guys, i can see i'm going to have to watch the movie again with binoculars and a stop watch this time....

RLDavies
755076.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote

On the subject of cameos, but not Hitchcock:

The Andromeda Strain was the first of Michael Crichton's books to be made into a movie. He was thrilled and wanted to appear as an extra. The director (Robert Wise) was on friendly terms with him, and wanted to make sure he ended up in a scene that was so vital it wouldn't end up on the cutting-room floor.

The only problem was Crichton's height. At 6 foot 9, he couldn't be "man walking down corridor" or anything similar -- he'd instantly dominate the scene. The solution was to put him on a very low chair behind the window in the operating-room scene, where the surgeon is pulled out of an operation to join the Wildfire team.

Zebra57
755086.  Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote

There are many directors who have appeared in their films from the Actor/Director such as Clint Eastwood or Orson Welles to George Lucas who has a fleeting appearance in Star Wars 3.

The following directors often/always appeared in their films (not an exhaustive list):

Woody Allen
Ken Branagh
Mel Brooks
Charlie Chaplin
Rainer Fassbender
Spike Lee
Quentin Tarantino

Some cameos were subtle some were very obvious like most of Mel Brooks' appearances.

deadstick
769966.  Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote

Austinallegro, efros--

Chocolate sauce is the traditional blood substitute in black-and-white films. It simulates blood in luminance, viscosity and water solubility and it's utterly non-toxic...what could be better?

rj

Jenny
770162.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Don't they use corn syrup and food dye nowadays?

tetsabb
771620.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote

Another wrier who appears briefly in TV versions of his work is Ian Rankin. 'Reichenbach Falls', a non-Rebus story of his, was shown again recently, and I noticed him in a scene at a book-launch party, chatting in the background to the baddy, a crime writer.
Hmm, can't remember what was going on in the foreground at the time.....

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2