View previous topic | View next topic

Iran Next?

Page 1 of 1

bobwilson
821233.  Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote

Over the past few days I've seen this phrase used a few times. It seems to have provoked no comment.

Can anyone explain (preferrably in words of one syllable as I'm a bit thick) what exactly the Iranians have done to inspire universal opprobrium? I mean apart from overthrowing a corrupt dictatorship which was friendly toward the West?

CB27
821294.  Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear it?

2. Who did you hear it from?

3. You've not heard this before the last few days?

bobwilson
821436.  Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote

1. I've heard it on various news programmes ranging from BBC discussion programmes to Fox News.
2. See item 1

What I found most alarming was that the phrase was thrown in casually as if this was a logical progression.

CB27
821542.  Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote

We must be watching different BBC programmes, I watch a few of them and I can't recall this phrase being bandied about. As for Fox News, that pretty much answers the question :)

PDR
821543.  Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Over the past few days I've seen this phrase used a few times. It seems to have provoked no comment.

Can anyone explain (preferrably in words of one syllable as I'm a bit thick) what exactly the Iranians have done to inspire universal opprobrium? I mean apart from overthrowing a corrupt dictatorship which was friendly toward the West?

1. I haven't heard this, and I really don't think "the west" is planning a move on Iran - there is no appetite for another such adventure at the moment.

2. If you walk the streets of the place and talk to the ordinary people (OK, it's been a few years since I was there, but I don't think much has changed) you find few who actually enjoy or desire the theocratic system in which they live. They are nice people - traders by tradition with a wicked sense of humour and quite a zest for life and fun that they currently can't freely express. So I don't recognise your description. The mere fact that the current regime overthrew the shah doesn't automatically make them desirable.

PDR

Posital
821574.  Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Well - just from listening to the tone in Radio4's news bulletin at 8pm - it sounded like the rhetoric was being ratcheted up a notch.

They mentioned something about supporting the Taliban.

I guess that once regime change has been effected in Libya with no ground troops (except Will Hague) - we can move on to someone else.

Page 1 of 1