View previous topic | View next topic

Planes Grounded by Icelandic Ash

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

suze
818884.  Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote

sjb wrote:
The President of Iceland was just on CNN. His surname is Grimsson?

Strictly speaking, he doesn't have a surname - most Icelanders don't. His patronymic is, however, indeed Grímsson. Under Icelandic convention, he is both referred to and addressed as "President Ólafur".

(Yes, I'm a pedantic arse ...)

sjb
818886.  Tue May 24, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote

Ah ha! I thought it might be something along those lines. Thanks for filling me in. :)

Neotenic
818923.  Tue May 24, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
You certainly have a colo(u)rful turn of phrase. :)

Yeah, when it comes to O'Leary and the Ryanair business model, I don't tend to pull my punches.

Posital
818969.  Tue May 24, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
After all, you can't rape the wallets of corpses.
That's covered by the charge for repatriation of the remains.

brunel
818978.  Tue May 24, 2011 5:07 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
According to Sky News, Ryanair flew a plane from Glasgow to Edinburgh via Inverness and Aberdeen (supposedly the ash hot spot) and it landed just fine.

I know it's Sky News, but if it does turn out to be true, you've gotta wonder what kind of pressure (or bribery) was brought to bear on that particular pilot.

On the other hand, the Transport Secretary claims that Ryanair have been lying, saying that the fight route never passed through the zone designated as unsafe for aircraft. That, in turn, has been backed up by a statement from the CAA:
Quote:
"The CAA can confirm that at no time did a Ryanair flight enter the notified area of high contamination ash over Scotland this morning," a spokesperson said."

I wouldn't be totally surprised if that was true. O'Leary is always one for a bit of publicity, but I doubt that he'd really risk one of his aircraft crashing - not only would it create a huge amount of negative publicity, the financial implications (which we know is what motivates O'Leary the most) would be a major concern.

soup
819433.  Thu May 26, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote

Can anyone else remember that talking head snippet on TV when the British expert said 'planes will fall out of the sky and people will die, whilst the German expert said nothing would happen?

npower1
822110.  Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of a more recent volcano errupting in South America.

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8