View previous topic | View next topic

Jeremy Clarckson

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Moosh
716344.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Y'see yorz that's the thing I don't get. It's not just Clarkson, but several people who's work I normally dislike occasionally do something that's good, and make me think "why don't you do that all the time? Don't you see you don't need the irritating persona?". Al Murray would be another example of this, when he's not doing the Pub Landlord character, I find him to be a good comedian, funny and entertaining. In character, however, he's unfunny, boring and cliched.

With Clarkson, he does documentaries like that one, or the Victoria Cross one, and they're great. When he's doing his Top Gear character he's the reason I stopped watching Top Gear. Why can't he do one and not the other?

'yorz
716347.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Dunno, Moosh. He's a bloke with various faces. I must admit that TG is not as funny and informative as it used to be, but on the rare occasion that I do watch it, there are moments of rapport between the three that make me laugh.
It must be a lot of blokes' wet dream to earn money driving/thrashing cars.

bobwilson
716371.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote

spud wrote:
Series after series hosted by a twat, a hippy and their marmoset

Brilliant!

Quote:
It would take a saint not to resent speed cameras, bus lanes and caravans (or a non driver) at some level.

I'm not a saint but I drive - and I don't resent any of those things. What I do resent is the bad use of speed cameras, bus lanes and caravans (and, for that matter, the failure to install where appropriate traffic calming and bus lanes or to set up passing lanes in places where slow moving vehicles are causing a problem for other motorists).

Ion Zone
716384.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Most people seem to really like and really detest him at the same time. It's a bit weird.

Personas are tricky things, though, they have a tendency towards taking over. If you do the act long enough it follows you home.

bobwilson
716385.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote

That's about right IZ - about like and detesting at the same time. The thing is that he's got a nugget of truth and extrapolated it to a full-blown crusade - which is pretty well what most of the population does.

He sees a speed camera stuck in a stupid place - therefore speed cameras are wrong - is basically his way of thinking. When the correct way of thinking is "this speed camera is stuck in a stupid place and is purely there to generate revenue - let's have speed cameras stuck in places where they'll do some good".

bemahan
716641.  Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote

I don't dislike him. I think he's a performer and he performs in the appropriate manner to whichever crowd he happens to be playing to.

bobwilson
717120.  Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
I don't dislike him. I think he's a performer and he performs in the appropriate manner to whichever crowd he happens to be playing to.

Which perfectly encapsulates why I don't agree with the idea of allowing the populace to vote for the people who will be making the decisions that will affect my life.

I'm indebted, bemahan, for a far more succinct argument than I could ever have come up with as to why democracy is a bad idea.

Now I must leave as I understand that Bonzo the performng chimp is currently appearing as Santa Claus, but will later be appearing as the reincarnation of Jesus, as a pantomime cow in India, in an unscheduled space ship landing in Papua New Guinea, as the policeman in a punch and judy show, and as the reassuring voice of reason on Radio 4. I wouldn't want to miss any of these just in case I'm not persuaded.

bemahan
717276.  Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I'm indebted, bemahan, for a far more succinct argument than I could ever have come up with as to why democracy is a bad idea.

With that following hard on the heels of your agreement with my comment on the correct use of the word hieroglyph, you may want to consider checking with me before you formulate any of your arguments. ;)

I've always thought most politicians were primarily performers which is why I take anything any of them say with a huge pinch of salt. Particularly if they are saying something that appeals to the crowd. Or if they are American. Apart from Rob Lowe in "Brothers and Sisters" - he appears genuine enough.

'yorz
717284.  Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote

Or Josiah Bartlet... <swoons>

bobwilson
717763.  Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always thought most politicians were primarily performers

Yeterday's news bemahan. We all know politicians are primarily performers. The important thing is to spot when there's a politician in the room. post 717762

Just Say No To Vorderman
717876.  Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote

It's Richard Hammond that really annoys me..really really annoys me
At least Jezza is amusing, sometimes.

And having met him and his wife some years ago..I'd say he's not that much like his TV persona in real life..certainly not when his wife is there..there was no doubting who wears the trousers in that house :-)

gruff5
717947.  Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote

so. was it him, or his persona, that annoys you? Or both??

Just Say No To Vorderman
718131.  Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
so. was it him, or his persona, that annoys you? Or both??

Sorry. it was Jezza and his wife I met..as for the Hamster..the TV persona is so obnoxious I can't bring myself to accept it's not partly him....overpaid jumped up local radio DJ..his persona on Top Gear is particularly objectionable..I'm thinking here of the way he behaves when he wins anything..there was an episode where they raced the German Top Gear lot and when Hammond won his race he ran over to the old guy he'd beaten and banged him on the head..how I wished the German guy had lamped him :-)
And to think his autobiography was a top seller.....aaaggh :-(

scottydog
718196.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote

I suspect his autobiography success was largely to do with the crash.

I think the whole concept behind the idea of Top Gear is arrogance and selective agreement.

It's actually very similar to your average football fans.

When in Britain, hate Europe - especially France. When in Europe but not Germany, hate the Germans. hen in any part of Europe, hate the Americans, when in America, hate Argentina. It's bottled populous thinking. I am sure though, that all involved in top gear know exactly what they are doing and set out to be those very persona's.

If people hate it, fantastic, because people will also love it.

I certainly enjoy top gear as a bit of light entertainment and am sure if I was insecure enough to need to agree with everything I watched would get angry, but I have much more important things to do than get angry about television shows and their presenters.

It's just TV, iy's suposed to be mind numbing crap. When you've had enough, turn it off and pick up a book (go for a walk, cook something, draw, paint, sculpt, rennovate an old Mercedes [maybe just me], watch nature, go climbing, go running, sing, even play golf if that floats your boat!).

scottydog
718202.  Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

And there's me voting for my local candidate. Call me old school, but I do not give a flying wotsit about some meglamaniac self indulgent pillock trying to get into number 10. I believe that if we all voted for our local representatives who we believed best served our communities and reflected our personal beliefs, then democracy would be better and we may even now have a government that someone actually voted for.

As distasteful as local councillors almost always are, at least they are real, approachable and attainable if one wants to challenge their stance. Surely, that's democracy ...

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next