View previous topic | View next topic

Jeremy Clarckson

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posital
715919.  Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote

This JC is not the real messiah either, he's just a very very naughty boy...

He knows which buttons to press to rake in the easy money, that's all...

gruff5
715950.  Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote

The off-button (or, more accurately, the another-channel button) in my case.

And the easy money comes from the TV license payer, remember.

Posital
716002.  Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote

I didn't know that the TV license fee funded Mad Murdoch's empire...

Ooo... ooo... conspiracy!!

Hummingbird
716008.  Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote

I like him.

I remember Top Gear when it was boring. You don't want that again.

I like blokes, I like petrol heads, I love James May and his engineering nerdiness. It's all good. Yes the odd non PC remark does annoy but they are pretty rare.

He is every motorist's inner rebel. It would take a saint not to resent speed cameras, bus lanes and caravans (or a non driver) at some level. Take that shot of him up some wilderness hill with his Range Rover, having chewed up the landscape. Ecologically unsound, but also magnificent as a celebration of what our machines can do.

gruff5
716184.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote

Thought Top Gear was BBC production?

Spud McLaren
716219.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote

Hummingbird wrote:
I remember Top Gear when it was boring.
Last week's?

What used to interest me was reports on new developments in cars, and reviews of new cars. I really don't give a monkey's fuck about a parade of cars that individually cost more than I will earn in my working life. A single programme about this, with some daftness thrown in like making scrap Minis ski-jump, would be worth watching. Series after series hosted by a twat, a hippy and their marmoset just don't appeal, so it's the off-switch for me.

Posital
716259.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:34 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
Thought Top Gear was BBC production?
Jezza does more than Top Gear...

'yorz
716326.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Posital, how right you are.
Whatever faux pas Clarkson makes, I'll always thank him for his stunning documentary
The Raid on Saint Nazaire.

And I'm very grateful that the whole thing can now be watched on YouTube. It should have been made available on DVD.

Please, all of you who hate his guts, put aside your aversion and watch this. Unbelievable.

Spud McLaren
716331.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I don't hate his guts. I've never met them.

He may, for all I know, be a most charming, sensitive and erudite man in real life. However, his conduct on camera and in print lead me to think that I probably won't go out of my way to make his acquaintance.

'yorz
716333.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote

You may be right, but we were talking about his tv output.

Spud McLaren
716342.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Quite.

Moosh
716344.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Y'see yorz that's the thing I don't get. It's not just Clarkson, but several people who's work I normally dislike occasionally do something that's good, and make me think "why don't you do that all the time? Don't you see you don't need the irritating persona?". Al Murray would be another example of this, when he's not doing the Pub Landlord character, I find him to be a good comedian, funny and entertaining. In character, however, he's unfunny, boring and cliched.

With Clarkson, he does documentaries like that one, or the Victoria Cross one, and they're great. When he's doing his Top Gear character he's the reason I stopped watching Top Gear. Why can't he do one and not the other?

'yorz
716347.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Dunno, Moosh. He's a bloke with various faces. I must admit that TG is not as funny and informative as it used to be, but on the rare occasion that I do watch it, there are moments of rapport between the three that make me laugh.
It must be a lot of blokes' wet dream to earn money driving/thrashing cars.

bobwilson
716371.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote

spud wrote:
Series after series hosted by a twat, a hippy and their marmoset

Brilliant!

Quote:
It would take a saint not to resent speed cameras, bus lanes and caravans (or a non driver) at some level.

I'm not a saint but I drive - and I don't resent any of those things. What I do resent is the bad use of speed cameras, bus lanes and caravans (and, for that matter, the failure to install where appropriate traffic calming and bus lanes or to set up passing lanes in places where slow moving vehicles are causing a problem for other motorists).

Ion Zone
716384.  Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Most people seem to really like and really detest him at the same time. It's a bit weird.

Personas are tricky things, though, they have a tendency towards taking over. If you do the act long enough it follows you home.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next