View previous topic | View next topic

A proposal for (another) QI meet-up

Page 131 of 131
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131

Brock
1387562.  Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Add about eleventy-six bajillion votes from me for the Brooklands museum!

Only if I'm allowed an equal number of votes against it :-)

Not my sort of thing at all, I'm afraid, although I see that the ticket also allows entry to the London Bus Museum, which might be more up my street.

Jenny
1387581.  Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:40 am Reply with quote

I'd be happy with either of those, so let's see if anybody else weighs in.

crissdee
1387592.  Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote

I could live with the Bus Museum, but Brooklands will remain my favoured choice.

Brock
1387593.  Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
I could live with the Bus Museum, but Brooklands will remain my favoured choice.

Well you don't have to go to the Bus Museum if you don't want to. As I understand it, the same ticket covers both museums, so you'd have a choice of visiting one or the other or both. They're almost next to each other.

I assume there's no obligation for the entire group to stay together for the whole visit?

crissdee
1387596.  Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
crissdee wrote:

They're almost next to each other.

My bad, I didn't look that closely at the site.

Brock wrote:
I assume there's no obligation for the entire group to stay together for the whole visit?

Oh no, we have often had parties wandering off on their own, using the pub as "base camp".

Brock
1387623.  Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote

We haven't had a recommendation for a pub in Weybridge yet. Does anyone know the area?

Brock
1387706.  Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Another thought: if we're looking for attractive places in the Thames Valley, why not Henley-on-Thames? They've got a River and Rowing Museum, which I've never visited, and quite a few decent pubs. I remember spending a lovely summer's day there once.

EDIT: If more options are required, the Great West Way site has an extensive list of visitor attractions in the London to Bristol corridor. Not all of them will be suitable though.

Brock
1387715.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote

I've set up a poll now (post 1387714). As I can't add polls to existing threads there's a danger of creating two parallel discussions on the same topic, but I think we can live with that...

And just a comment about dates: my preference would be to meet up while British Summer Time is still in force, which means Saturday 30th October or earlier. If the meet is to be at a weekend, that would in fact be the only possible date.

Jenny
1387745.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote

That would be awkward for me. It's the first day after I arrive when I can guarantee that my daughter and my son, who I haven't seen for two years, will be available and not working. I also have my granddaughter's fifth birthday, which is on November 4th but I have no idea when the party will be and probably won't know until a lot nearer the time, and my priority would be to be there.

I should add that I'm not staying with either of my children because neither have a spare bedroom, but in a nearby AirBnB in Hemel.

Brock
1387748.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:06 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
That would be awkward for me. It's the first day after I arrive when I can guarantee that my daughter and my son, who I haven't seen for two years, will be available and not working. I also have my granddaughter's fifth birthday, which is on November 4th but I have no idea when the party will be and probably won't know until a lot nearer the time, and my priority would be to be there.

Well you're the one with the time constraint, Jenny, so why don't you pick the date? I'm happy to fall in with whatever other people want, as I have very few commitments.

Jenny
1387750.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote

That is why I've been trying to slow this discussion down. We have lots of time yet and no need to get precise itineraries drawn up right now. I'd like other people to weigh in if possible so we can get an idea of how many and who under various circumstances.

Brock
1387757.  Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote

Well I've set the poll for 14 days, which takes us to the beginning of September. Let's see how many people weigh in between now and then.

I should add that I have only one priority in these discussions - to ensure that the meet goes ahead, somewhere, somehow, at some date. I have never met anyone on this forum, and I would very much like to. I also have a rare window of opportunity at the moment when I can afford to travel around the country. This may not last very long.

If it ends up not happening at all because of disagreements about dates or venues, I shall be extremely disappointed. Other than that I'm happy to go along with just about anything!

Brock
1387827.  Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
I've set up a poll now (post 1387714). As I can't add polls to existing threads there's a danger of creating two parallel discussions on the same topic, but I think we can live with that...

It looks as though the main discussion has moved to the other thread now, so I'll refrain from posting any more here.

crissdee
1388487.  Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote

Having driven to Chessington and back yesterday, I now know that Brooklands and back in a day is doable for me, but it would make for a long day.

It has also occurred to me that, if we decided to make it central London for convenience, I could drive to the end of the Central line at Epping, take the tube into town, then on my return, I would be but a few miles from my friend in Harlow for an overnight sofa surf.

Brock
1388490.  Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote

@crissdee: I've replied in post 1388489 as I'm still anxious to avoid duplicate threads on this topic! Hope that's OK.

Page 131 of 131
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131