View previous topic | View next topic

A proposal for (another) QI meet-up

Page 130 of 131
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 129, 130, 131  Next

Brock
1386962.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Brock wrote:
Well, I'm not aware that the Government is planning to re-impose restrictions between now and then.

I wasn't thinking about legal requirements, I was just thinking about whether putting people from widely diverse areas, some of whom have been on public transport for significant lengths of time, close together in the confines of a car was a particularly sensible thing to do.

It probably isn't, and to be honest, bringing a car into the centre of Bath isn't a sensible thing to do in the first place! The council has made the place so car-unfriendly that it's much easier to use public transport or walk if possible. (The current closure of Cleveland Bridge has made a bad situation even worse, although it should have re-opened by the end of September.)

If some people are thinking of coming to Bath by car, I would recommend that they use one of the three Park & Ride sites. Obviously that would remove any possibility of car-sharing around Bath.

PDR
1386966.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote

Anything involving a park & ride would raise the same concerns, so I would be abstaining.

PDR

Brock
1386970.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:15 am Reply with quote

Well it's up to you I suppose - you don't have to use the Park & Ride, it's just a lot easier if you do. Car parking spaces in the centre of Bath are very limited, and getting from one part of central Bath to another by car is a nightmare.

My recommendation would be to make the entire journey by public transport if possible, but I appreciate that's not practical for some people.

crissdee
1386971.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote

I can't get on the National Rail site at the moment for some reason, but in my experience, getting anywhere from here via public transport is awkward at best, a freaking nightmare at worst. If this happens, I will be driving at least to one of the P&R sites.

Jenny
1386989.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote

Actually I think PDR makes an excellent point.

Guys, I think right now we don't need to make detailed plans - just explore options. I'm not happy about asking people to meet to do something wildly expensive, because I know just the journey will be a financial strain for some who would like to be there, and we have folks with physical limitations who need to be considered.

Any other suggestions than Bath and Windsor?

suze
1387007.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
FWIW my employer currently still prohibits anyone entering our buildings who has been on public transport within the previous 24 hours (whether they be employees, visitors or government ministers).

Good luck with that policy when someone complains that it constitutes indirect discrimination.

If my workplace introduced such a rule, it would have gone to the unions within minutes of being announced and probably to the press within an hour.

PDR
1387009.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Funnily enough this policy was mainly introduced for the benefit of our larger sites, and they have very strong union representation which has been involved and consulted throughout. They have all signed-off on the policy - I gather they've taken the view that the continued breathing of their members is more important to them than an opportunity to make silly political mischief.

I don't know what the situation is in your school, but as you'd expect (statistically) with an organisation of our size we have had a non-zero number of covid fatalities. Knowing people who've lost their lives to this virus does tend to focus their attention on its dangers.

Tomorrow I'm actually doing my first physical visit to our main location for over 18months (a place I used to visit weekly) and my first business overnight hotel stay for nearly a year. It's around a 300 mile trip each way and of course we're not running our corporate air shuttles at the moment. So I'm driving rather than taking the train for the above-mentioned reason.

PDR

crissdee
1387012.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:37 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
FWIW my employer currently still prohibits anyone entering our buildings who has been on public transport within the previous 24 hours (whether they be employees, visitors or government ministers).

Does no one use public transport to get to work? If you say they don't, I have no real cause to disbelieve you, but I find it mildly surprising if it is so...

PDR
1387019.  Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:34 am Reply with quote

Most people (almost the entire UK part of the company) are working from home, and have been since April 2020. Specific arrangements have been made for manufacturing people, but that's not a large proportion these days.

PDR

crissdee
1387031.  Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote

OK, I had not considered that so many could be working from home.

RLDavies
1387053.  Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote

I've been working from home since about 1999.

Brock
1387548.  Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

Any other suggestions than Bath and Windsor?

After a week, I think we can assume that the answer is no. Perhaps we could do a poll to decide between the two?

PDR
1387552.  Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to suggest another alternative, but perhaps Cookham? I haven't been there for over 20 years, but it used to be a good place to go for a walk along the Thames or hire small boats to trundle up the Thames before (or after) a lunch at the Ferry which was (and possibly still is) a foodie pub. I don't know if the boats are back in business, but they can't stop us walking the towpath (the Thames towpath is a designated Public Footpath). There is also a gallery dedicated to the works of Stanley Spencer if you like that kind of thing - I seem to remember it includes the unmissable "Christ Preaching at the Cookam Regatta".

It's about 20-30mins by car from Windsor.

Another alternative might be Brooklands Museum at Weybridge. A combination of aircraft and early/pre-war motor-racing together with some other period stuff. I'm hesitant to suggest it because it's not necessarily to everyone's taste and we did an aircraft museum last time. But if we're scrabbling...

0.0002 supplied,

PDR

Brock
1387555.  Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I'm hesitant to suggest another alternative, but perhaps Cookham?

Well it'd give me an opportunity to explore a single-track branch line that I never knew existed. I can ride the "Marlow donkey"!

crissdee
1387556.  Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Another alternative might be Brooklands Museum at Weybridge. A combination of aircraft and early/pre-war motor-racing together with some other period stuff. I'm hesitant to suggest it because it's not necessarily to everyone's taste and we did an aircraft museum last time. But if we're scrabbling...

Add about eleventy-six bajillion votes from me for the Brooklands museum! That is definitely on my bucket list. Closer to (my) home, and also on my bucket list, is Pendine Sands, where I intend to go when I get a chance.

Page 130 of 131
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 129, 130, 131  Next