View previous topic | View next topic

A proposal for (another) QI meet-up

Page 129 of 131
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130, 131  Next

Big Martin
1386827.  Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote

Beckford's Tower is a bit out of town.

The Assembly Rooms (but not the adjoining costume museum) are free and include Grade 1 listed chandeliers.

Brock
1386837.  Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:03 am Reply with quote

Big Martin wrote:
Beckford's Tower is a bit out of town.

It certainly is. I still haven't visited after nearly 30 years! I was intending to go there with a friend a little while ago, but then they closed it.

Quote:
The Assembly Rooms (but not the adjoining costume museum) are free and include Grade 1 listed chandeliers.

The Victoria Art Gallery is free as well.

I hadn't heard of the Bath Medical Museum that crissdee linked to, but it doesn't appear to be an actual building - just a collection of objects at various museums and galleries around Bath.

Jenny
1386872.  Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote

There used to be (don't know if there still is) an American museum just outside Bath. I took a group there sometime in the 90s and recall them having a wonderful quilt exhibit.

A lot of places are currently closed and I guess we will have to wait a while before we know if they will be open. Where is a good pub/eatery in which a small but perfectly formed group could gather?

Brock
1386881.  Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
There used to be (don't know if there still is) an American museum just outside Bath. I took a group there sometime in the 90s and recall them having a wonderful quilt exhibit.

Yes, the American Museum is still there at Claverton, a couple of miles outside the city centre, admission 13 (GiftAid 14.50). It's a very long time since I visited and I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Quote:
A lot of places are currently closed and I guess we will have to wait a while before we know if they will be open. Where is a good pub/eatery in which a small but perfectly formed group could gather?

The last time I organized something like this, we went to the White Hart in Widcombe. Not many visitors come to Widcombe and yet it's very central - only five minutes from the railway station, and bang at the start of the Kennet & Avon Canal, which I think is wonderful in itself (come and see the second deepest lock in the country!). It's perhaps a bit more of a restaurant than a pub these days, but there are a couple of alternatives nearby - the Ring O'Bells and the Ram, which is more of a traditional boozer.

How many people are we expecting, roughly?

RLDavies
1386906.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote

Just to say I'm keeping an eye on this thread!

I'm willing to travel essentially anywhere that can be reached by train. But with the caveat that my mobility is pretty restricted right now. I can stand or walk for only about 15 minutes maximum, after which I've got to sit down and rest my back. So if there's going to be a lot of walking about before/after, I might be forced to bow out and wait for the next meet-up.

Brock
1386909.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote

That's one reason why I picked the White Hart on the previous occasion - there were a number of elderly people in attendance, who requested somewhere close to the station. (It's actually nearer to the station than many city centre venues.)

The American Museum perhaps isn't the most accessible venue for someone with mobility problems, as it's up quite a steep hill outside the city. (Bath is pretty much entirely surrounded by hills, unfortunately.) There are frequent buses up to the University, but I think it's about a 15-minute walk from there. I think they may run their own bus up from the city centre though - I'll need to check for details.

crissdee
1386922.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote

@RLD. If this goes ahead, a number of us will be in cars anyway, I'm sure there would be lifts/spare seats aplenty.

PDR
1386928.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote

We would need to think about the covid implications of that.

PDR

Jenny
1386929.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Good point PDR - I think maybe we need to get into details nearer the time when we all know more about what the covid situation is. I am in the UK between October 24th and November 13th.

Brock
1386931.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
@RLD. If this goes ahead, a number of us will be in cars anyway, I'm sure there would be lifts/spare seats aplenty.

That reminds me - private cars and motorbikes are exempt from the Clean Air Zone charge that was introduced in central Bath earlier this year, but if you're planning to come in a van or a light goods vehicle it may cost you! (9 for vans I think.)

Brock
1386932.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Good point PDR - I think maybe we need to get into details nearer the time when we all know more about what the covid situation is. I am in the UK between October 24th and November 13th.

Well, I'm not aware that the Government is planning to re-impose restrictions between now and then. I suggest we make plans on the basis that things stay as they are now, and then if there's any further change to the Covid rules, we can revise them.

Leith
1386950.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote

For other attractions close to the station in Bath, you've also two small museums in the Herschel Museum and the Jane Austen Centre:
https://herschelmuseum.org.uk/
https://janeausten.co.uk/

I've not visited the latter, but spent a few hours in the Herschel House when I was in Bath last. It's a modest museum consisting of a period house, and artefacts relating to William and Caroline Herschel's musical and astronomical accomplishments - not the most mind-blowing of attractions, but an interesting diversion if time is short.

The big attraction in central Bath is the Roman Baths, but they seem to be cripplingly expensive these days.

If the legal situation remains unchanged, Covid considerations will be a case of common sense precautions rather than regulation compliance, I think, bearing in mind that potential attendees span a range of vulnerabilities. Hard to say where we'll be in Oct / Nov this far out, though.

Don't know if I'll be about myself then, but will keep an eye on the thread and see how things develop.

PDR
1386951.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Well, I'm not aware that the Government is planning to re-impose restrictions between now and then.

I wasn't thinking about legal requirements, I was just thinking about whether putting people from widely diverse areas, some of whom have been on public transport for significant lengths of time, close together in the confines of a car was a particularly sensible thing to do.

It's a sad reflection on the buffoons we have in power that "legal requirements" and "sensible thing to do" don't inherently overlap.

FWIW my employer currently still prohibits anyone entering our buildings who has been on public transport within the previous 24 hours (whether they be employees, visitors or government ministers). The current view is that this will remain until well into the new year - not something that anyone particularly wants, but something which our analysts apparently conclude is just "a normal degree of caution" based on the data they have.

PDR

crissdee
1386952.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
For other attractions close to the station in Bath, you've also two small museums in the Herschel Museum and the Jane Austen Centre:

Personally, I would rather pull my own teeth out than have owt to do with Jane Austen! Having actually done the former, I speak from experience.

PDR
1386956.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote

I seem to remember that there was a costume museum in Bath which I was dragged around in the mid 90s that had a whole section devoted to underwear*.

PDR

* don't bother - it was pants

Page 129 of 131
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130, 131  Next