View previous topic | View next topic

A proposal for (another) QI meet-up

Page 1 of 131
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131  Next

tetsabb
694393.  Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote

I think most of us would agree that Bletchley Park is a QI place.
http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

I am prepared to start organising a visit for forum members if there is sufficient interest. The basic price for entry is 10, but for 18 a group of at least 20 persons get a guided tour, tea/coffee on arrival and a lunch.

A few years ago I stopped there on my way elsewhere, and would love to go again. If this plan takes off, I would probably find somewhere to stay either the night before or after a meet-up. Others might want to do the whole thing in a day, depending on location.
What I propose is as follows;
If we get enough people prepared to give a definite 'yes', I will book a group visit with BP. (Who knows, if we got just 15, I might haggle with them)
I would also be prepared to book a nearby hotel/guesthouse for them as would want to stay.
When next at work I will consult my rota and come up with a day for the visit. This will be set, probably late August/early Sept though BP may be busy with 70th anniversary of Battle of Britain stuff then.
I will ring them tomorrow and see if any dates are real no-nos for them.

So early next week, I will post a definite date. I would want people to commit by, say, end of June, and then I would set another deadline for people to send me cheques for entry/accommodation.

I have been to a couple of QI meets in London and thoroughly enjoyed them. One of the problems I have observed is people agreeing times and locations. So I am approaching from the opposite end, and offering a time and a place -- it is up to everyone to decide how much effort/money they want to expend getting to and from it!

Think on't and let me know.

Neotenic
694403.  Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote

I've been to BP before - my family homestead is in Bedford, so not too far away.

We took a tour too - although it was given by a rather rambly old chap who spent so long talking to us about the outbuildings, we virtually had to sprint through the good stuff towards the end, which was something of a disappointment. Although this was probably about ten years ago or so, so hopefully they'll have tightened things up a bit by now.

Depending on dates and work commitments around then, I think I'd be game.

Bondee
694459.  Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote

I'll have to pass on this one, I'm afraid. I'll be going on holiday in September so money will be a bit tight around that time.

It's a good idea though!

'yorz
694506.  Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Grand idea. I wish...... :(

Moosh
694527.  Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote

I went to Bletchley Park as a school trip, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was a very interesting place, but I don't think I'll be able to join you this time, distance, finances and all that.

crissdee
694652.  Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote

Late Aug/early Sep is just the time I am going away with my family including my niece (light of my life as previously discussed) so I cannot and will not miss that. 4/5 Sept is good though. I would probably drive up there and would have spare seats in the crissdeemobile if anyone wanted to hop in.

Iamtheelephant616
696299.  Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote

Milton Keyenes? I don't think so*.

Perhaps you could have just suggested this on the original QI Meet-Up thread seen as it's usually in London IIRC?

*Or at least not for me :(.

crissdee
724130.  Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote

Ok, just to revive this thread, and as tetsabb's original suggestion seems to have been greeted by a ripple of apathy, I'll just run this up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

Would anyone be interested in this?

http://www.wellcomecollection.org/

and afterwards (or even before and afterwards) this?

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub842.php

I don't really have the time or regularity of internettage to organise this, but I would be prepared to research both places to see if they meet our necessarily exacting standards, i.e. QI and licensed!

Iamtheelephant616
725204.  Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote

*walks in* *sees the proposed location is too far away for me to travel, yet again* *leaves*.

Edit: Oh wow, I thought this was a new thread, I forgot I'd bascially said exactly what I just said here already. Ah well, the point remains the same.

hobittual
725219.  Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Efalump, let's have a meet up at your place then, that can't be far from you, can it?
Just kidding.

sandman2000k
725220.  Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote

if there is tea and some cake i am in

hobittual
725225.  Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Why does everyone always mention money being tight?
Lord above, I have joined a forum full of paupers!

Does QI stand for "Quite Insolvent"?

hobittual
725242.  Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Being serious now, Tetsabb, I would love to go to Bletchley Park, good idea.

Spud McLaren
725361.  Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote

hobittual wrote:
Why does everyone always mention money being tight?
Because it is.
hobittual wrote:
Does QI stand for "Quite Insolvent"?
Quids Insufficient.

hobittual
725373.  Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote

Well if that is the case Mr. Mc. You will all have to jolly well get on your bikes and look for work, just like my Father did.
It is a bad show if the QI social calendar has to be scheduled around everyone's Giro day.

Page 1 of 131
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131  Next