View previous topic | View next topic

Hostilities

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Zebra57
693251.  Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote

If the "Argentine Rescue Force" did invade the Falklands as a side show a similar thing happend during the Crusades when the Crusaders decided to loot Constantinople on their way to "liberate" Jerusalem.

CB27
693393.  Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote

To be honest, I found the story very interesting as a sideshow, but I think this man was caught up in a situation that needed the simlpest spark to turn it over and it's all about politics - from both sides.

While it can be argued quite easily that the response to the presence of the workers was OTT, it can be easily argued that Argentina could have simply settled the whole situation through diplomatic mediation in a matter of days.

However, what's telling about the whole situation is the very response of Britain suggests they had some indication of a possible incursion, and that the Argentine forces were so well equipped prior to any possible hostilities. When I read some of the reports from the soldiers themselves and saw some of the pictures, it was incredible to see so much new equipment left behind by the Argentines, some of which hadn't yet been "taken out of the wrapper".

bobwilson
783856.  Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote

I'd forgotten about this until a recent post rekindled my interest.

Quote:
it can be easily argued that Argentina could have simply settled the whole situation through diplomatic mediation in a matter of days.

Nothing to argue about there CB. But as there are always two sides to a dispute the same could be said of the UK - or? And as the UK is a mature democracy and the Argentines were a bit of a loose cannon - who has the greater responsibility? If you have an axe wielding thug and a trained policeman and both act irresponsibly - who's at greater fault?

Quote:
what's telling about the whole situation is the very response of Britain suggests they had some indication of a possible incursion

Did they by George? And they didn't take any steps to counter it?

Quote:
the Argentine forces were so well equipped prior to any possible hostilities. When I read some of the reports from the soldiers themselves and saw some of the pictures, it was incredible to see so much new equipment left behind by the Argentines, some of which hadn't yet been "taken out of the wrapper"

This seems to be self-contradictory. On the one hand it seems to say that Argentine forces were intending to invade - as evidence they had new equipment issued. On the other hand it seems to say that Argentine forces were issued with equipment at the last minute - so late in fact that they hadn't even time to unwrap their Christmas presents (let alone familiarise themselves with it).

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2