View previous topic | View next topic

Homosexuality vs Heterosexuality

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sadurian Mike
708593.  Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote

I fear that the end of that road lies in a show pitting black contestants against white ones.

I just really wouldn't want to see QI move in that direction (and I didn't actually think that the "girls versus boys" show was one of the better ones).

Lukecash
708613.  Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote

I would love to see a show where you have the people who butter their bread on the top Vs the people who butter their bread on below.

But we all must agree on one thing both Homo and Heretero-We love the genitalia! Unless you are asexual, but you don't count.

pdxuser
708732.  Wed May 12, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Oh, for heaven's sake, Stephen Fry doesn't have to actually say they're on teams or competing if it makes others that uncomfortable, but when there is a series H episode about it, there had very well be some homos representing. And, for the record, particularly if the host were a racial minority, I would be perfectly fine with the host being devious and claiming that a racially diverse episode was actually a competition. The thing is, it should be understood that no one actually believes that the scores on such a show would establish that one group were superior to another, so the idea that it would be a competition would be as much a joke as points on QI already are.

'yorz
709844.  Sun May 16, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote

I think it's a moronic idea (she said, rather late in the day).
What is the 'homo' team supposed to represent? The limpwristed/mincing part of the group? The can't-tell-from-anybody-else group? Are they supposed to give gay answers or answers in a gay way?
What the fuck has sexuality got to do with general knowledge?
Get a life.

*stomps off*

pdxuser
709966.  Sun May 16, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote

If the episode is about homosexuality and heterosexuality (as we should assume any H-series episode where this would happen would be), then why are people getting so angry about having hets and homos on the show? And is anyone really going to deny that they detect a gay sensibility in the comedy of Graham Norton, Alan Carr and Julian Clary?

Jenny
709975.  Sun May 16, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote

I think the anger you detect is about the idea of setting them up as 'against' each other. Personally, I can't see what anybody would gain out of that.

zomgmouse
709979.  Sun May 16, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote

It's not necessarily the "against" factor I'm worried about, but just the simple fact of separation, thus deliberately pointing out inherent and therefore completely irrelevant differences.

'yorz
710190.  Mon May 17, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote

---
Rant deleted.

bobwilson
710290.  Mon May 17, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
And is anyone really going to deny that they detect a gay sensibility in the comedy of Graham Norton, Alan Carr and Julian Clary?

I detect a certain campness in the comedy of GN, AC and JC - whether that's gayness or not is another matter.

bobwilson
710291.  Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
---
Rant deleted.

Bloody good thing too - that's my job!

'yorz
710340.  Mon May 17, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Mine was insightful and well-wrought. However, with hindsight, also too personal.
Hence the delete.

bobwilson
710352.  Mon May 17, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Mine was insightful and well-wrought. However, with hindsight, also too personal.
Hence the delete.

oooh - bitchy! ;)

I prefer to leave my (sometimes immoderate) comments on display - even if I later regret them. It just seems a tad dishonest to hide them after others have responded.

'yorz
710354.  Mon May 17, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote

The delete occurred before the next posting. It was a very heartfelt posting, and I realised that I didn't want it to be dissected and perhaps ridiculed. Call me a coward.

Last edited by 'yorz on Mon May 17, 2010 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

bobwilson
710363.  Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote

So it did - in which case, why not just delete the post? Not that it matters much - just curious.

'yorz
710365.  Mon May 17, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
So it did - in which case, why not just delete the post? Not that it matters much - just curious.

To delete entirely can make possible readers of that posting think they've gone mad. It has happened to me: I could have sworn that I saw this or that statement, and now it's gone.

My posting may have been read, but hadn't been reacted to.

*See above edit.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next