View previous topic | View next topic

Possible bug in thread display

Page 1 of 1

tchrist
688786.  Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote

I've for a long time tried to figure out why threads seem to display incorrectly in a couple of circumstances.

The first problem occurs when it allegedly starts you at the beginning, but it's not at the beginning. That is, you say to visit a thread and it puts you on page one, but the first posting you see at the top of page one is in fact not the first posting in that thread. The only way you can find that first posting (or first few postings) is to go forward to the next page, and then from there back up again by hitting 1 or Previous.

The second problem may or may not have the same root cause as the first, but my guess is that it does. What happens is that it says there are more than one page of unread postings in a thread, but as you go through them it really ends on the second-to-last page, and the last page has the same final postings as the previous one did. Those last two pages may, I believe, have a different total number of postings.

If pressed, I might guess there's a bug in the calculation that determines how many postings to display per page, along with the number of unshown postings. It looks like that kind of a bug. I'd look into any code that's doing an integer division and/or integer modulus (ie, remainder) function on posts per page and where to start or end. There may be some sort of fencepost or rounding/truncation error there.

If these are known bugs, sorry for the duplicate report. If they aren't, I hope this helps.

--tom

Ameena
688813.  Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote

This has come up before on occasion. If you just click a thread title, it shows you the last...15 posts, I think, of that thread. If you want to read a thread from the start you have to click the "1".

Jenny
688831.  Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Actually if you want to read a thread from the start you have to enter start=0 on the address bar at the end of the link - 1 takes you to the next post after the original.

MinervaMoon
688854.  Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Or just get rid of "&start=##" entirely.

Ameena
689002.  Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote

How come I can get to the first post by clicking on the "1", then? I've never messed around in the address bar to get to the first post...

Jenny
689390.  Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote

If you mean the page number 1, that probably would take you back to the beginning.

Ameena
689502.  Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I meant. Are there any other "1"s that can be clicked on with regard to thread page numbers, then?

Jenny
689591.  Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote

Not clicked, but put into the address bar at the top after the = sign. Sorry - I was unclear there.

Page 1 of 1