View previous topic | View next topic

Holy Grail

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

britishsm
682915.  Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
We know that Bran's cauldron is still buried under the white tower in the tower of London - as the ravens are still there...

Or was it his head...??

Yeah his head .. in "Gwynfryn" - "The White Hill" which is supposed to be where The Tower is now built ..

B.

soup
682926.  Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Here was me thinking the holy grail was under the apprentice pillar in Rosllyn chapel. Step aside Mr Brown soup is on the case.

Zebra57
683021.  Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote

The site of the White Tower is indeed the reputed burial site of Bran's Head. Bran was the Crow God of the Celts. The Tower of London ravens are said to be all that remains of the worship of the Sacred Head.

As long as Bran's Head is buried there, Britain would always be safe from invaders. Legend says that King Arthur removed the Head against the advice of Merlin. As a result the Saxons invaded and seized London.

Celebaelin
683030.  Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote

We have quite a lengthy (well, three pages plus a lot of links) Grail, Holy thread in the G Series forum! It starts here post 427415

mcgrew
683049.  Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
We have quite a lengthy (well, three pages plus a lot of links) Grail, Holy thread in the G Series forum! It starts here post 427415

Jumping, that's bit, a ahead, too it, isn't?
:-)

... on the letter, that is.

Celebaelin
683052.  Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't start the thread! ; )

Ian Dunn
683066.  Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote

If anyone wishes to see the Holy Grail, they can do as it is an exhibit at The Museum of Curiosity (donated by Kate Adie). For those wishing to visit the museum, they can find it somewhere in Epping Forest, guarded by Don Quixote.

hassan el kebir
683112.  Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote

Quote:
re: Holy Blood Holy Grail

I hope the Mods will allow me to plug my modest offering on this subject.

http://www.summersdale.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=238&products_id=883&osCsid=27kr1qfk9dfnagsus5fksjhcd3

I have the dubious pleasure of being the son of one of the authors of HBHG and the above title is (in part) my explanation of why this whole story is complete and utter bunkum.

HBHG is very much a book of its time. It appeared on the market after 'Who Moved the Stone' and whatever that book was about 'god' being a magic mushroom. It came at a time when people wanted to hear that Jesus wasn't a fairy tale and had really existed.

The whole theory put forward by the book is based on fiction and you can't really weave fiction into fact, fact into fiction, yes, as the late, great George Macdonald Fraser showed, but not the other way around. The two parchments that the priest supposedly discovered and from which the whole story spews forth were released to our doughty researchers by the Priory of Sion, an organisation that has been shown to have been created by a gentleman of questionable honesty, in France in the middle of the last century. These parchments have never been seen by anyone and nobody knows where they are yet, as with all religions, a leap of faith is demanded so the story may continue and the parchments are Rennes' leap of faith. Nobody questions, they all blindly accept.

Unfortunately, if you decide the parchments do exist and there is a great mystery waiting to be unveiled you have already started taking yourself down the long, rubbish-strewn path of complete and utter ignorance.

Then there is the bestowing of significance to minutiae again, without giving any thought to it. Make a statement with enough gravitas and portent and there you go, the public accepts but never questions.

Hmmm, I could ramble on for pages about this idiocy so maybe I’d better stop before I get too carried away.

One thing that has pleased me, however, is just how angry the Rennies seem to be with me for daring to suggest that their story might be nothing more than hokum. It has been very satisfying to have created quite such a reaction, my absolute fave is an Amazon reviewer who feels my book is ‘lacking in intellectual content of any kind.’ I have printed that one off, laminated it and hung it above my loo so I can read it and grin as I pee.

Jenny
683421.  Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote

hassan el kebir wrote:
These parchments have never been seen by anyone and nobody knows where they are yet, as with all religions, a leap of faith is demanded so the story may continue and the parchments are Rennes' leap of faith. Nobody questions, they all blindly accept.

I'll let you get away with the plug as it is so very relevant to the thread and may well be of interest to readers of this forum. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I picked out your quote above because it reminded me so much of a certain American group with unwavering faith in the existence of golden tablets engraved with a previously unknown book of the Bible, that disappeared in equally mysterious fashion.

Lukecash
683443.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
[

I picked out your quote above because it reminded me so much of a certain American group with unwavering faith in the existence of golden tablets engraved with a previously unknown book of the Bible, that disappeared in equally mysterious fashion.

Star Wars fans?

Actually there is something Quite Interesting about that particular group, I should actually share in a more appropriate thread....*he says mysteriously, but has only had 3 hrs of sleep in the last 24

hassan el kebir
683445.  Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote

Thanks Jenny, I won't do it again.....well, I might when I get this next one written ;-)

Neal Shepperson
743106.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote

Ugghhh... i dont belive your discussing the Arthur leg-end like it might be minutely true. Its probably a mutation of the irish story of Finn macCool thats been filtered via national pride and self interest (the French having him Cuckolded by a french knight - the church placing him at Glastonbury when their pilgrimage spot the oldest wooden church in england burnt down for instance). Its so wrapped up in mythology and spin you cant take it seriously.

Sadurian Mike
743110.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote

We don't.

And we aren't.

What we do here is to examine such myths to see where and how they originated. Just because someone examines a myth does not mean that they believe in it.

exnihilo
743227.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote

And that analysis of the Arthur legend was just a bit too like the one on the Arthur programme on the BBC t'other day. Indeed, all but verbatim, and only one of many analyses available.

dr bartolo
743517.  Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote

I heard that the "grail' was originally a sort of magical serving dish-go figure.....

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next