View previous topic | View next topic

Please help.. Need to find that picture...!!!

Page 1 of 1

Rachael
29573.  Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:04 am Reply with quote

Watched show 6/7 of third series last night on BBC 4, guests featured Jeremy Clarkson, Shaun Lock & Rich Hall.

There was an awesome picture of the earth illustrating the volume of water and atmosphere (i think) by an scientific award winning artist called Adam (didn't catch his surname).

I would really like to have a copy of this picture so could someone please tell me the artist's full name and if possible where i can get a copy from.

Many thanks

Rach

eggshaped
29590.  Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote

Welcome Rachel,

I missed last night's episode, but I think the picture you require can be seen here:

http://www.visions-of-science.co.uk/winners2003/win-31.htm

And was discussed on these forums here:

post 13996

waldopepper
31125.  Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote

I've found larger resolution versions of these images - there's a copyright watermark over the centre, but you can see much more detail here.

http://adamnieman.co.uk/vos

adampudsy
34404.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote

They're beautiful pictures (trying to find them was the reason I found this marvellous site!) but what I don't understand is that if the picture with the water sphere contains all the earth's water, including ice, why are the polar ice-caps & greenland still showing white? They wouldn't look that way if there was no ice on them, would they?

Quaint Idiot
34405.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote

Maybe the guy who collected all the water together did it quicker than he expected, and decided to paint the polar areas white in the time he had left.

Well spotted, adampudsy, and welcome.

JumpingJack
34605.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Many thanks waldopepper for that great link and welcome adampudsey too.

Celebaelin
55511.  Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote

This just in - Wayward giant snooker ball obliterates most of continental Europe. Portugal, UK and Ireland have lucky escape.

rival
56236.  Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote

I don't want to start a fight or anything, but if this is all the water on Earth, then how come the northen ice cap is still in place on the picture? I just thought I'd mention it.

Gray
56599.  Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote

The picture claims only to show the world's water, not its ice, which explains why Greenland, The Alps and the Himalayas are white as well. Presumably, if Antarctica had been shown, that would be white as well.

Although that does rather clash with the statement at the top that talks about the Earth's "air and water resources". Even now the ice is melting...

andy_zx6r
56608.  Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Left: All the water in the world (1.4087 billion cubic kilometres of it) including sea water, ice, lakes, rivers, ground water, clouds, etc. Shown on the same scale as the Earth.

http://adamnieman.co.uk/vos/

Gray
56628.  Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Ah yes, his original blurb seems to have been abridged somewhat. I expect it's simply an oversight then. Or he just made it white to show what it looks like - after all, no-onw knows whether Greenland really is green. I expect it's quite muddy...

adampudsy
56656.  Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote

I actually emailed Adam Nieman after I'd raised the same point in my post above and got this response:

>>Thanks for your kind words about my picture.

>>You are absolutely right! Greenland and the Arctic should not be white. I've made them grey on another version. There's another mistake too. Strictly speaking, if the entire atmosphere had been gathered into a ball then there would be nothing keeping the water in a liquid state, so the atmosphere picture shouldn't have water either. I'm not too bothered by that detail though.

>>Best wishes,

>>Adam

:-)

Page 1 of 1