View previous topic | View next topic

How MEPs serve us

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CB27
675223.  Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Did anyone see Farage's "welcome" speech to the new EU President?

Whether as a politican you agree or disagree with the choice, or the position itself, is it right for him to insult him like this in a public chamber?

How much does this damage the reputation of all UK MEPs and therefore the reception they'll have in debates in the future?

bobwilson
675391.  Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Did anyone see Farage's "welcome" speech to the new EU President?

No - but I've looked it up now.

Quote:
is it right for him to insult him like this in a public chamber?

No, of course not. He should follow the usual practice of politicians - quiet words in the appropriate ear, coy little exchanges, and for God's sake don't ever let the electorate have any say in (or knowledge of) what the hell is going on. Can't have that - terribly non-U.

Zebra57
675436.  Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote

What exactly does an MEP do apart from cost a lot of money to the public purse. Has anyone investigated their "perks"?

CB27
675457.  Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote

Some MEPs do quite a lot, especially in trying to get fair treatment and service, and British MEPs have been fairly successful in the past in leading important debates.

However, as is the usual, and displayed in exemplary fashion by bob's post, a lot of the positive and important work that MEPs and other politicians do goes unreported and some people prefer to simply go along with the rhetorics of some, which is why parties like UKIP have done well in European elections, even though their members do the least work in the EU on our behalf and they're essentially milking our tax money.

If you want to see what your MEP does, this is a decent link to start with.

djgordy
675603.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

Whether as a politican you agree or disagree with the choice, or the position itself, is it right for him to insult him like this in a public chamber?

How much does this damage the reputation of all UK MEPs and therefore the reception they'll have in debates in the future?

Mr. Farrago...sorry, I mean "Farage" ... intends to stand for a seat in the coming U.K. general election so, one might assume, his intention was simply to get himself some publicity in the British press. Result! He also probably wants to get suspended from the European Parliament so that he can portray himself as a martyr to U.K. democracy, cruelly persecuted by the nasty Europeans.

He is, of course, a twat.

Efros
675691.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

He is, of course, a twat.

I second that motion!

samivel
675729.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote

Carried.

We shall now refer henceforth to the aforesaid individual as Nigel 'Twat' Farrage.

suze
675749.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote

Oddly enough, I'm going to claim otherwise. I've met Mr Farage a couple of times; I can't say that I liked him very much and I disagree with almost all of his political opinions, but that doesn't make him a twat.

While his opinions on the EU are not mine, they are sincerely held, and he is by no means alone in holding them. As for his outburst at the installation of the EU President, well yes it was somewhat uncalled for and he was rather rude about Belgium - but he's by no means the first politician to make an outburst of that kind (Ian Paisley when the Pope visited the EU comes to mind).

Self publicist yes, fool quite possibly. But he's not a twat.

tetsabb
675792.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote

So what would he have to have done to warrant the QI forummers' accolade of twatitude?

Zebra57
675843.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote

As twat has two meanings he is either a stupid or obnoxious person or female genitals; he is therefore...........................?

barbados
675930.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:

So what would he have to have done to warrant the QI forummers' accolade of twatitude?

Alternately, what has he done - other than have differing views to you - to qualify as a twat?

CB27
675944.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the OP, I don't care about agreeing or disagreeing, the issue for me is the fact that what he basically did was to insult someone so publicly, and I don't think that gives politics a good image.

I forgot the timing of his little stunt, as he's on QT as I type. Nice bit of self publicity.

Zebra57
675953.  Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote

I have just seen QT with Nigel who said that he was a banker for a number of years. I think in rhyming slang that says everything.

djgordy
676068.  Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 am Reply with quote

Mr. Farage was on "Question Time" last night and one of the questions was about his very outburst. What an amazing coincidence that he should have made the remarks he did so shortly before going on national television. One might almost imagine that he was using his position as an MEP for self publicity in order to advance his chances of becoming a Westminster MP.

I repeat; he is a twat.

Neotenic
676124.  Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote

I think I would also put forward the choice of the particular seat that he has decided to campaign for is further evidence to support your position, too.

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next