View previous topic | View next topic

DNA

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

grizzly
58082.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote

I must say that Jenny's article is QI with respect to the future of human evolution.

The modern world must seem to have so many implications for human evolution. Divergent evolution, for example, is where two individual species evolve from a single species (like humans and chimpanzees have evolved froma common ancestor). However, this often occurs where a population becomes split geographically so that the species evolve in isolation in different conditions. If any person can travel anywhere in the world we must ask what implications this could have for human evolution. Would humanity ever diverge into 2 different species?

In addition, medicine could have a big impact. In the past genetic mutations that make an individual incapable of surviving to adulthood or to reproduce would have disappeared but now any individual with such a genetic disease can survive and have children. Thus natural selection might not take place where as it previously would have. On the other hand, if we were to allow genetic screening to prevent children from being born with genetic diseases, many of these diseases might be extinct within 2 generations.

It would also be interesting as to how we evolve in response to recent changes in diet. With an increasing rate of heart disease and similar diet related diseases it would be interesting if genes that increased the storage of fats would disappear through natural selection.

Tas
58085.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote

Wasn't there talk of thumbs becoming bigger or stronger, due to the use of text? Or was that just tabloid nonsense?

:-)

Tas

grizzly
58089.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Wasn't there talk of thumbs becoming bigger or stronger, due to the use of text? Or was that just tabloid nonsense?

Tas

If it was true then it definitely wasn't genetic. Texting hasn't been around enough and I really can't see how faster texting would improve your chances of survival and reproduction.

Gray
58109.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
pls hlp me... hngng on clif edg... cnt hld on ne lngr...

Jenny
58170.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Norb - thank you for those links - that's fascinating. I'd never heard of that before.

Norb
58198.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote

You're welcome

Tas
58253.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I really can't see how faster texting would improve your chances of survival and reproduction.

"UR fit. Fncy shg?"

Tas

djgordy
58259.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:

"UR fit. Fncy shg?"

Tas

Eww! No thnx.

grizzly
58265.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote

but if you texted slightly slower how would that mean you are less likely to have a shg?

96aelw
58269.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote

Because a rival could have texted, secured agreement and got the job done in the time it takes you to turn predictive text on.

grizzly
58273.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote

Does this happen to you often?

djgordy
58356.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote

96aelw wrote:
and got the job done in the time it takes you to turn predictive text on.

I've heard of a quickie but that's ridiculous.

Tas
58359.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:54 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Eww! No thnx.

It was not an offer, per se, but rather an example of typical offers that may (or may not) be sent.

Tas

djgordy
58363.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:05 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Quote:
Eww! No thnx.

It was not an offer, per se, but rather an example of typical offers that may (or may not) be sent.

Tas

You'll really have to learn to cope with rejection a bit better than simply going into denial.

Tas
58365.  Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote

I am not in denial!

Tas

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next