View previous topic | View next topic

Dracula

Page 1 of 1

Anna
29078.  Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote

Rather an interesting chap, and quite appropriate for this Halloween night.

A vampire spider?

geoffo
32625.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote

Vlad the impaler-nice fella

Mr Grue
32654.  Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote

His popularity was clearly stated if you look at the number of people that appeared on his exit pole.

Celebaelin
32800.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:04 am Reply with quote

Quite Interestingly

Vlad Dracul was not the historical figure on which Dracula is based but in fact his father. As you may have heard the one we're usually on about is Vlad Tepes (or Vlad Tepes Dracula). Vlad the dad was called Dracul because he was inducted into the order of the Dragon (a Hospitaller/Templer type order of chivalry Draco=Dragon=Dracul). Dracula means son of Dracul.

http://members.aol.com/johnfranc/drac05.htm

“A second major role of this Order as a source of inspiration for Stoker's evil character is the Order's official dress - a black cape over a red garment - to be worn only on Fridays or during the commemoration of Christ's Passion. “

Where does the line “Listen to them - the children of the night. What music they make!” come from?

Surprisingly, well, it surprised me anyway (and gave me a good laugh as well), this is actually in the original book Dracula by Bram Stoker Chapter 2 page 29 line 11 in the Penguin Popular Classics 1994 edn. and not first uttered by Bella Lugosi in the film version of 1931 directed by Tod Browning where it appears as:

Listen to them. Children of the night. What mu-u-u-sic they make.

On a related D in the film The Company of Wolves (1984) the wolves were played by Alsation dogs in rather unconvincing wolf costumes and gave the impression that one might, at any moment, be licked to within several inches of ones’ life.

Mostly Harmless
32828.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
33077.  Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote

When I was 14, I scared myself silly reading Dracula. Foolishly, I chose to read it in bed on a dark and stormy night when I was all alone in the house. Having frightened myself thoroughly, I put the light out and tried to sleep. The wind blew a loose telephone wire that hung down between my house and the neighbour's, and it tapped on the window. 'Aaaargh,' I thought, 'he's coming to get me,' and promptly pulled the sheet over my face. I lay waiting for more sounds, when suddenly, very close to my face, I heard a tiny scratching sound, like claws on cloth. I went rigid, scared stiff, but nothing further happened except that tiny scratching sound.

It was at this point I realised that, lazy teenager as I was, I had gone to bed without taking my make-up off properly, and that the sound was caused by my mascara-stiffened eyelashes scratching the sheet over my face.

I rolled about laughing, but I'm not sure if I was laughing out of embarrassment or hysteria!

geoffo
33700.  Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote

bram stoker had connections with whitby ( the med. of the north)
didnt he??

lindy
34845.  Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote

Is that med. as in medium?

Rory Gilmore
35184.  Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Vlad was so feared that he once placed a golden goblet in the town centre of his capital, and no-one risked picking it up.

Amie
35375.  Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote

Nice random fact there, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before..

thetwig
35393.  Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote

Yes... ve vill suck everybodiez bloooud....

MVAHAHAAA! OUCH! I Bit my Lip...

Rory Gilmore
35411.  Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote

Amie wrote:
Nice random fact there, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before..

It wasn't me was it?

violetriga
39396.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Draculin, found in the saliva of vampire bats, is an anticoagulant that stops blood from clotting while it is being sucked out.

Rory Gilmore
39403.  Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote

So you could prick someone with a draculin-soaked needle and they's bleed to death?

Page 1 of 1